• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

Comment

Good Luck all. Be safe out there.

Comment

I talked to the game warden 2 years ago about blaze orange. He said bow only compartments are the only place orange is not required. If you are hunting in a gun compartment, even if its bow season only, you have to wear orange. So, if guns are allowed in the area, orange is required.

Comment

We are headed out on the 23rd for a weekend of scouting.
          Anyone else going to be camping at Sam that weekend?

Plan on putting up several cell cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
            We are headed out on the 23rd for a weekend of scouting.
            Anyone else going to be camping at Sam that weekend?

Plan on putting up several cell cameras.

I will be out there Friday afternoon, and all day saturday. Going to try and scout the archery only areas unless something just feels good while driving around.

Comment

I went scouting for deer hunting spots today and had the rifle for any hogs I might see. Got poured on by the rain and eventually made it to the truck. Just started driving and saw two separate groups of hogs on the road of course, they must know we can’t kill them off the road. I found a really good spot and of course I saw an old ladder stand that had pine needles stacked up on it. Not trying to start an argument, but I just wanted to double check that there isn’t any rules different for a National Forest versus a normal Texas WMA in regards to the 72 hour rule. I’ve seen a lot of ladder stands and permanent wooden stands out there, but I always hunt in a climber or portable hang-on stand. If the rules are different for a National Forest, then I’d buy 2-3 cheap ladder stands and place them all over and leave them like I have been seeing, much less work than carrying my stands on my back in and out every weekend. Like I said, not starting an argument I don’t care if you leave your ladder stand year round, just double checking if it’s different for National Forest. I’ve been on other WMAs and have seen “permanent” stands placed....it would be nice if the owner would at least put a “2019 tag” or something saying they are still going to use it and not that they didn’t just want to haul it off.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug1076 View Post
                I went scouting for deer hunting spots today and had the rifle for any hogs I might see. Got poured on by the rain and eventually made it to the truck. Just started driving and saw two separate groups of hogs on the road of course, they must know we can’t kill them off the road. I found a really good spot and of course I saw an old ladder stand that had pine needles stacked up on it. Not trying to start an argument, but I just wanted to double check that there isn’t any rules different for a National Forest versus a normal Texas WMA in regards to the 72 hour rule. I’ve seen a lot of ladder stands and permanent wooden stands out there, but I always hunt in a climber or portable hang-on stand. If the rules are different for a National Forest, then I’d buy 2-3 cheap ladder stands and place them all over and leave them like I have been seeing, much less work than carrying my stands on my back in and out every weekend. Like I said, not starting an argument I don’t care if you leave your ladder stand year round, just double checking if it’s different for National Forest. I’ve been on other WMAs and have seen “permanent” stands placed....it would be nice if the owner would at least put a “2019 tag” or something saying they are still going to use it and not that they didn’t just want to haul it off.
                Leaving a stand out there over 72 hours is not allowed - I would take a picture and report to Game Warden - we're all supposed to be following the rules. I've seen permanent stands and have reported to Forest Service - after a month I went back out biking/hiking and it was still there - called TPWD and it was gone after one week. I'm not trying to be a pendejo - but the rules are there for a reason (and they're pretty simple rules to follow).

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpyfoot View Post
                  I talked to the game warden 2 years ago about blaze orange. He said bow only compartments are the only place orange is not required. If you are hunting in a gun compartment, even if its bow season only, you have to wear orange. So, if guns are allowed in the area, orange is required.
                  Guys, read your public hunting book that comes in the mail when you buy your public land stamp. It clearly states that anytime you’re hunting on a “unit” (Sam Houston Nat’l Forest is one big unit), and guns are permitted (which they always are for rabbits, squirrels or hogs), you have to wear orange. We’ve talked to GWs several times about this over the years and if you’re hunting in the Sam, you have to wear orange, even if you’re in the archery only areas.

Comment

Planning on going out the weekend of the 23rd. 1st trip Taking our new camper out to Cagle with infant and 3yo. Not sure how much scouting will actually get done, but may see y'all out there.

Comment

Been out a couple times over last 2 weeks. Hotter than heck tho...not seein much sign that isnt close to water. Runnin a camera in a spot that was a honey hole end of last season and 521 pics of leaves rustling lol. Creek bed was dry so they moved out for now. Wife and kids start back to school next week so probably wont get out this weekend

Comment

We are going to stay at Huntsville SP weekend of 23rd. Showers will be nice.

What's the final verdict on carrying your loaded side arm with CHL?
                        In the national forest.

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                          Guys, read your public hunting book that comes in the mail when you buy your public land stamp. It clearly states that anytime you’re hunting on a “unit” (Sam Houston Nat’l Forest is one big unit), and guns are permitted (which they always are for rabbits, squirrels or hogs), you have to wear orange. We’ve talked to GWs several times about this over the years and if you’re hunting in the Sam, you have to wear orange, even if you’re in the archery only areas.
                          I had a game warden tell me last year orange is not required on the archery only areas, as there is no permitted gun hunting on them. I don’t hunt those areas so it doesn’t make a difference to me but that is just what I was told. I’d wear orange anyways out there.

Comment

In the national forest.
                            You don’t need a chl to open carry it, but you do need one to conceal carry

Comment

Heading out Saturday for my second scouting trip this month. Going to check out my go to spots and see how they are looking and then plan on checking a couple new areas. Planning on bringing lots of water!

Comment

In the national forest.
                                Season before last I was told by the GW you had to have CHL to carry on federal land.

Comment

Working...
                                X