No announcement yet.

IYO, Is college worth it !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A: what is your highest level of education?

Bachelors in Business - Operations Management

B: For those of you with degrees, do you directly use your degree in your field?

I did -- I moved in to a sales role and find that having a good grip on the operations side of things helps immensely

C: given your income vs college debt (if any), or the overall expense in general, was your time in college worth it in the big picture ?

In short - yes. Can't really put a price on the time(fun) spent(had) in college - and as much as I hate saying stuff like this, I got that degree for myself, not anyone else. I feel a sense of accomplishment every time I see that degree hanging on my wall.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      Degree yes- however you don't make the decision on whether your kids go to school or not. You can decide to support them on whatever you wish. I have one that is not going and another that is. I would imagine one will make more money than the other probably doing less work
      If I’m paying for it I’ll definitely make that decision for them.

Comment

a. BBA, JD, LL.M
        b. Don't practice law anymore, but use the training regularly in business
        c. Blessed to have college paid by my parents. I work with my dad and I don't think he believes money was wasted, even though I'm not practicing law.

I'm with Mike Rowe on believing that not everyone needs college or a 'college-required' job. Lots of jobs need done without extra education and there is honor in any job that is well done - the honor/respect doesn't come with the degree or salary.

Comment

I was hired on at a big energy company here in Texas as a meter reader in 09. I was 19 then and have been promoted 5 times since and my current role is pipeline foreman. When I started, I only had a hs diploma and have moved my way up by hard work and dependability. Here recently, I took advantage of the tuition reimbursement program my company offers and enrolled in college. I know college is not a necessity as I make pretty good money and only started college for a personal goal and because the company I work for is paying for it. It might open other doors in the future but who knows. Most people I work with have no degree and make good money, just depends on how bad you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
            If I’m paying for it I’ll definitely make that decision for them.
            Yea but if they really want to go, not really up to you as they can go into debt all on their own.
            Last edited by BigRed323; 05-03-2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCohiba View Post
              Bachelors in Business - Marketing.
              Use it? Not really but it opened doors that would have otherwise been closed. Once you get your foot in the door, your performance, work ethic, attitude, and results are all that matter.
              Zero debt. Fortunate to have some help from parents & also worked full time all the way with company picking up the tab for my tuition.

My kids are both in college now - and will graduate with zero debt. We started saving the day they were born. They both went to junior college while living at home and are going to U of H for junior / senior years while doing the same.

We never forced college on them. They have seen first hand what it can and can not do for someone. College is just a check in a box. What you do in life and how successful you are depends mostly on how hard you work and your attitude. My feeling was it couldn’t hurt - and once you have that degree nobody can ever take it away from you.

Can't say it much better than above! Degree yes but not used in my current profession.

Comment

Just my observations and experiences.

Me (53 years old)
                A: what is your highest level of education? Graduated high school (82) and then a year of Air Force training (83) and then retired in 2004. Currently work for a major telecom co. Everything I have now is because of what I received in the military. Add- hard work, and no debt.

B: For those of you with degrees, do you directly use your degree in your field? I do have over 60 hours of CCAF credits, but no degree. However, I look at it as a 21 year degree.

C: given your income vs college debt (if any), or the overall expense in general, was your time in college worth it in the big picture ? Considering what type of student I was back in high school, college would have been a failure, military I had to make it work, and I did!

Wife (51)

A: She has an associates, helped, but she was smart anyway. She has a much better approach to learning that I do. She is a Real Estate agent.

B: Not really, she was pretty good with administrative stuff.

C: For her probably not.

Daughter (24)

A: She received an associates/Respiratory Therapist license via TCC, and a Bachelor via MidWestern State.

B: She does every day.

C: She has no college debt. We helped her with it and she paid her part and worked hard. She is a team lead at Harris in Fort Worth and owns a house in West Fort Worth, and she is available. She worked her way through as a server at Babes in Burleson- that is a restaurant, not a tango-bravo.

Son

A: Clay has a BS in Chemistry from UT (yuk). He is finishing up his first year of the UT DR of Pharmacy program.

B: He will and has been using it as a lead Pharm Tech at a CVS in Austin. Clay is one that you would think could cure cancer, and he might.

C: He and we are paying a lot of it, but he will have some debt. Fortunately he is like mom and sis and can make Lincoln scream while squeezing that penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                  Bachelors and you absolutely will not get hired or move up without one
                  Everyday
                  I have a little debt but I’ve only been out for a year. Don’t have near as much as other as I did most of my classes at a dirt cheap community college
                  Really? I’ll make a large wager against that. And I know for a fact I’d win it lol.

Depending on your career choice it can certainly help. In my career it would not help. I do have 2.5 years of college.

Comment

All completely depends on the individual For one person yes, another one, no. I know a lot of successful people with no degree at all. I also know a lot of successful people with more than one. Any person can make good money with or without one, just depends on what that individual wants.
                    Last edited by TheHammer; 05-03-2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                      Bachelors and you absolutely will not get hired or move up without one
                      Everyday
                      I have a little debt but I’ve only been out for a year. Don’t have near as much as other as I did most of my classes at a dirt cheap community college
                      Please, please do not listen to any of this. ^^^

Comment

in general NO. Certain professions require degrees and thats fine and dandy. In the past college degree was a huge help. Now a days its just another long term loan to load kids with. Some especially those who enter into professions requiring it but overwhelmingly I feel it hurts more people than it helps. I'm in the process of putting my eldest in college now. He wants to be a lawyer and maybe in the political field (we need more good conservatives). We've had some tough talks recently. College has turned out to be a way of "putting off adulthood" for most. Its a sad deal really which is a surprising turn of events.

Comment

When I was in college it was not nearly as expensive as it it now. Anymore you need to do a business plan based on your course of study to determine if it’s worth the investment. Lots of plumbers and electricians that have their own business make more than many people with degrees and enjoy a different level of job flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                            Please, please do not listen to any of this. ^^^
                            agree

Comment

I have civil engineering bachelors. Besides the basics I can't really say I use much of what I learned in college. The biggest things are work ethic and experience. These apply for any job. My particular job is very specialized, takes a ton of patience, requires a lot of hours, and required me to learn on the job just like many trades. My generation has gotten it in their head that any degree equals instant wealth and have to learn the hard way that even the most prestigious degree means nothing if you don't work. Would I do it over again, yes, but I feel like I'd be happy and make enough money not having gone to college either.
                              Last edited by jdg13; 05-03-2018, 04:19 PM.

Comment

a. BA in Business Management
                                b. Retired now, but did use my degree in my profession
                                c. I didn't have any debt when I graduated as I went to school under the GI bill and had a wife that worked. At the time I retired, I was making just over twice what the average American worker was making.

I believe college is worthwhile, but is not for everyone. My degree opened the door for me to get my job, but a good work ethic and willingness to take on challenges got me to where I wound up.

Comment

Working...
                                X