No announcement yet.

Youth and Rodeo's 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if they are still doing it up in Marshall, Texas, but years ago my daughter learned a lot at the Martha Josey barrel racing clinics.

Comment

She's the reason I'm not holding a new Triax, but it's all good. If she's loving to live her dream, them I'm happy to help her follow it. Whoop and ride!! It's tough to juggle between a daughter that wants to barrel race one day, and then gearing up a boat the next to get the son on the bass!! Adulthood struggles... lol.

Comment

Originally posted by hoggslayer View Post
        well, i wish that i didn't have anything to post on this thread. My youngest son has started to ride bulls now and while i'm proud, i would rather him do something else. I watched him ride 4 bulls saturday night and he got hung up on two of them. Even though he's 17 (going on 25) i don't like seeing my boy get hurt. Any way, i wish i would have had a better camera with me.
        beast mode!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigWes View Post
          Bowhuntertex, I've got an 8 year old daughter getting into barrel racing also. She started learning 2 summers ago. Since then, she's just been racing at the ranch where she takes lessons. My MIL (who raced back in the 70's) bought a horse for her to ride about 3 months ago. She's just now getting close to being able to compete on her and we're looking for places to take her.

So far we've found the Suburban Riding Club in Tomball and I heard about a place in Willis. Where can I find more rodeos? Is there an organization that organizes youth rodeos?
          Suburban riding club is a great place for kids to go and learn to ride and compete. It is really cheap and allows them to advance in there riding until they are ready to step up another level after they gain there confidence. I grew up riding there and used to go there every Saturday night. Still know the people that run it and they are great people and its a very friendly environment. Definitely a place I would recommend for you to check out. Once they gain there confidence and are ready to step up then I would recommend YRA, TYRA, CTYRA etc... like Brandon suggested. We have been to all of those as well when we were growing up and they are a lot tougher. Parents will mortage there house to buy there kids a high dollar horse lol. Good luck and as long as the kids put in the effort and have a great time then that is all that matters.

Comment

Barrel chasing and roping can be very expensive hobbies. Luckily, I grew up on a ranch where were raised a few horses and had our on lighted pen and roped our own stock. Gas was 30 cents a gallon and we did not have to have all the new $100,000 trucks and trailers. Rodeo was huge in those days and every little town had their own annual rodeo.
            I still try to keep up with Tanner Green and London Gorham as they are my best buddy's Grand Kids but the number of kids competing seems to be on the decline.
            Last year, we did a couple of TV shows with Shorty Gorham on CARNIVORE and I must admit that I really got interested in the bullfighting and bullfighting schools. I hope that rodeo can survive as it is part of our history.
            Adios,
            Gary

Comment

Originally posted by texasair View Post
              I don't know if they are still doing it up in Marshall, Texas, but years ago my daughter learned a lot at the Martha Josey barrel racing clinics.
              I am hoping to get my daughter in one of her schools/clinics this coming summer.

Comment

Find a different hobby, any hobby no matter how expensive.
                Will be MUCH cheaper than rodeo.

Comment

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post
                  I knew what I was getting into with my daughter. I grew up around rodeo. But yes if you don't know how expensive it can get you could probably play 2-3 select sports year round and still be much cheaper.

Comment

What are you talking about? I figured a guarantee way to make a small fortune in rodeo....start with a very large one.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      What are you talking about? I figured a guarantee way to make a small fortune in rodeo....start with a very large one.
                      Lmao.
                      In the next 4 weeks we have to take my daughter to Tucson, Fort Worth and San Antonio. I live so far out here Tucson is only a little over five hours away, much closer than the other 2.

Going to go bang my head against the wall for a bit now.

Comment

Well you all could be adding stockshow to the rodeos like I had to. Last year I hauled my daughter to Fort Worth, San Antonio, Houston, State Fair and Heart of Texas Fair as well as about 15 rodeos and I don’t remember how many different play days and horse camps we went to. We all had a good time though and my daughter learned a ton.

This year we have 4 different horses on feed and 4 show goats on feed. We will be busy busy busy starting this weekend with the Fort Worth Livestock Judging competition until the end of summer. You can add select Baseball on top of that for my son.
                        Last edited by aggie2000tx; 01-09-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                          Well you all could be adding stockshow to the rodeos like I had to. Last year I hauled my daughter to Fort Worth, San Antonio, Houston, State Fair and Heart of Texas Fair as well as about 15 rodeos and I don’t remember how many different play days and horse camps we went to. We all had a good time though and my daughter learned a ton.
                          Riley does the Stockshows as well

Comment

My daughter had a pretty good weekend at the Hays County Livestock Show Horse show. She only competed in the 4 speed events in the JR division (8-13) and won all 4 events and High point for speed. She is the youngest in her class. Super proud of how well she rode Saturday.

Just signed her up for the San Antonio Stock Show Youth Rodeo today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sarah 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	24526823

Name:	Sarah 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	24526826

Name:	Sarah 3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	24526827

Name:	Sarah 4.jpg
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	24526828

Name:	buckle.jpg
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	24526829

Comment

Try motocross.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                                The absolute best thing you can do for your son is enroll him in a quality Bullriding school. I would recommend Gary Leffew or Ted Nuce school. Learning the fundamentals and basics properly will greatly reduce injuries. Its inevitable that youre going to get hurt. But learning the right way from the beginning is huge advantage.
                                ^^^This is solid advice^^^

Comment

Working...
                                X