Anyone eating wild pigs ........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killed a few this summer but haven't eaten any yet. I usually wait for a cold front before butchering any to eat. I have cut out some back straps and put them in the freezer. What about you?

The liver is the body’s filter, I inspect it and if it looks funky the coyotes and buzzards get to eat good.

That’s year round for me in feral hogs. I know some don’t like to waste game but I don’t consider hogs game. They’re feral livestock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just back straps so far.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3305.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	24632165
        We like deep frying the little ones. Amazing grub. Do it as you would do a turkey. We’re doing one again this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A week or so ago I pulled the backstraps out of two I had in my trap and threw them on the smoker. Sure were good.

Comment

They make great sausage at the right processer.

Comment

What a waste ! Why would you not eat it , just because it’s summer . They make great pan sausage year round

Comment

There are no problems eating them year round. Just prepare it correctly.

Comment

Yes, all the time. Wild pigs are great table fare.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
                    [ATTACH]1020037[/ATTACH]
                    We like deep frying the little ones. Amazing grub. Do it as you would do a turkey. We’re doing one again this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Hmmmmmm.......that looks great.....how long do you keep it in oil....until it floats like I do when crying a turkey?

Comment

Never stop eating it! I prefer hog over WT actually. Just put one in the freezer from this past weekend.

Pork fajita, and sausage are my go-tos. Only way I won't eat a hog is if the meat smells when I get the hide off. I have had sows and boars that were pretty rank after skinned, but most are good to go.

Comment

I eat them anytime I take them.

The only thing I change is during the summer, when it is extremely hot I will get myself a time frame to track and field dress them. If its over around an hour I start getting leery.

J

Comment

Eat wild pigs year round, smoked, chicken fry, pan and regular sausage. Lots of variety for preparing good meals. I too prefer wild pig over whitetail as there are many options and available year round. Good meat if prepared correctly. Can’t beat chicken fried pork cube steaks!

Comment

Man, the cooked pig in your photo looks awesome. It's only 10:15 and I'm getting hungry!

Comment

I like cubing the hams before vacuum sealing, so it lays flat in the freezer, I normally use them for Carnitas.

For Backstraps I like to brine for 30m-1h, then pan sear in rosemary garlic and butter.

You can take the ears and drop them in a dehydrator for the dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X