Ground venison mixed brisket fat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground venison mixed brisket fat?

I just trimmed a big whole brisket and set it on my big green egg for an overnight smoke. The fat I trimmed off is 8.5 pounds. I saved it and want to try mixing and grinding it some of the deboned venison I have. I have ground brisket and venison together and that was very tasty, but I haven't done this with just the fat from the brisket. I am wondering if anyone else has done this, what was the ratio used, and how did it come out? Thanks in advance!

Should work just fine. I have used brisket before. The last several years I just get beef trimmings/fat from the butcher and mix it 90/10 or so. Comes out perfect every time.

Comment

I always call the grocery store early in the morning and ask if they are trimming briskets. They always give me the fat and I grind it in about 80/20 (by weight) with deer or hog meat. Works great. Still deer flavor but gives some moisture. I grind 60/40 for making sausage links and it’s still a little dry. Still Working on that solution.

Comment

Would the hard fat from a brisket work? I’ve always heard that you should trim it because it doesn’t render?

Comment

My processor mixes all of my ground deer meat with brisket fat. Don't know the ratio, but there is no fat in pan when cooked.

Comment

I get “back fat” from my butcher and make my own venison burger 80/20. He always throws in brisket fat. Indistinguishable to the preferred fat imo.

Comment

I mix 60/40. 60 deer and 40 hole brisket makes the best hamburger meat

Comment

I get steak trimmings gettin the grocery store and use that, 90/10 is a great ratio for beef fat.

Comment

All I ever use is beef trimmings. It works out really good in pan sausage too if you like your sausage a little less greasy when cooking it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
                    I mix 60/40. 60 deer and 40 hole brisket makes the best hamburger meat
                    Pretty sure this is how I did mine last year. And it was perfect
                    Packer briskets are easy to find then just take off the majority of that heavy white fat and it worked great.

Comment

I generally do 60 venison 40 whole brisket.

Chew just posted about his current best with 20# venison 5# trimmed fat

Comment

Yes, I keep all the fat and trimmings from the briskets I trim during the year to make burger and sausage. I vacuum seal it, freeze it and use it the same year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm normally 60venison/40pork for ground meat. This year I used a couple of Axis for my ground meat which could make a taste difference. Somehow the order was written up incorrectly and it's 80V/20P. Tell you what, it's pretty good and enjoyed it a couple of times. We'll see if we continue to enjoy it at 80/20, or I'll change to 70/30.

Comment

Originally posted by 3under3 View Post
                            Would the hard fat from a brisket work? I’ve always heard that you should trim it because it doesn’t render?
                            I’m thinking since it’s ground up it’s easier for it to render when cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory.Shumate View Post
                              I always call the grocery store early in the morning and ask if they are trimming briskets. They always give me the fat and I grind it in about 80/20 (by weight) with deer or hog meat. Works great. Still deer flavor but gives some moisture. I grind 60/40 for making sausage links and it’s still a little dry. Still Working on that solution.
                              Yeah ill bet

Comment

Working...
                              X