Pickled okra ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickled okra ???

Can anyone give me a recipe/teach me how to pickle okra ?

My grandkids are having a ball picking okra and squash, lol.

But all I know to do with it is fry it.

Dont get me wrong, I love it that way but the grand kids love it pickled (they've ate some at restaurants). Heck, it's hard to keep em from eating it raw!

I like pickled too, just never done it.

Any info/advice is appreciated.

Try this one but I add mustard seeds too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The only way I eat okra that is not deep fried or in gumbo is a light saute and a little soy sauce.

Eats fine that way with some rice.

Comment

Slice thin like you are going to fry, Sauté in olive oil or butter with onions or chives and garlic, Very good.

Comment

Slice lengthwise in half. Put cut side up on plate. Sprinkle with Tony's. Microwave for a minute and a half. Quick, easy, clean and GOOD!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Boil in salted water 5m or so..Good and slimey...be sure and cross legs so they don't slide right thru...Gona try Joe H way..sounds easy and good..

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
              Boil in salted water 5m or so..Good and slimey...be sure and cross legs so they don't slide right thru...Gona try Joe H way..sounds easy and good..
              No thanks, bad childhood memories of my dad making me try it. I'm not picky by any standard but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Comment

I concur.

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                No thanks, bad childhood memories of my dad making me try it. I'm not picky by any standard but you have to draw the line somewhere.
                My little sister eats the snot (literally-it seems) out of boiled okra.

I cant handle the slime.....

Comment

My grandmother used to boil okra, then put it in vinegar with salt and pepper. Delicious slime spears! I don't know how to pickle Okra, but I sure to grease the pipes every time its around!

Comment

Okra Gumbo, Cut up Okra and tomatoes and saute with bacon, onion, and a little Tonys seasoning, serve over rice. You can add sausage. Same recipe with squash but with out the rice. Man it is Good!

Comment

That just may be worse than runny eggs.

Comment

LOL. Reminds me of working for the prison. Some inmates loved it. Some ran from it like the plague.

Comment

Runny eggs?

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                          That just may be worse than runny eggs.
                          That's a whole nother debate! Over easy/medium!

Comment

Love me some Okra. Boiled with some pepper sauce, Boiled with some tomatoes, Boiled with some fresh Purple Hull peas, Fried, and/or pickled. My kids even ate it raw straight off the stalk.

Comment

Very similar to pickles.. equal parts white vinegar and water, normally 2 cups of each will do 4-6 jars. In the bottom of the jar put 3 fresh garlic cloves, 1-2 sprigs of dill, 7-10 pepper corns, pinch of red pepper flakes. Before adding okra to jars wash good then poke each with a fork 1-2x. Add your water/vinegar to a pot. For each cup of vinegar/water i add 1/4 table spoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of pickling salt. Bring the solution to boil then fill jars to top, seal up wait a week and enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X