Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post, Very informative, Been shooting over 25yrs and just recently picked up a Bear recurve for a new challenge
    thanks

Comment

Cool

Comment

thanks

Comment

I like to mix instinctive/throwing a ball idea w/ gap/reference... works for me

Comment

Very informative. Thank you. In the process of picking up traditional now. Just shot one a few months ago and became addicted. The compound is fixin to take a back seat.

Comment

Great thread! I started gap shooting about 8 years ago after watching a Ricky Welch video.

Comment

Lots and lots of great information in here, possibly too much for me to completely take in in one reading. From what I've gathered you can gap shoot with either the three under or split method correct? Also wondering if using a delineated target like the one the OP showed would be the correct method to start with considering I'll be shooting my first traditional bow, and the first bow in 20-some-odd years, in a few weeks. I'm still in the initial phase of this in that I'm still narrowing down the correct arrows for the bow.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Richard.

Comment

You can do it split finger but it moves the arrow down on your face more and the gaps start getting pretty big. 3under works much better for it. If you anchor up higher with split finger then the top finger is in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                    You can do it split finger but it moves the arrow down on your face more and the gaps start getting pretty big. 3under works much better for it. If you anchor up higher with split finger then the top finger is in the way.
                    So if I want to shoot instinctive go split and if I want to gap shoot use three under?

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                      So if I want to shoot instinctive go split and if I want to gap shoot use three under?
                      You can shoot instinctive 3 under.

I chose 3 under because of the release and anchor. I dont anchor as high as alot of other 3 under shooters.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                        Not really. Many people shoot instinctive 3 under. I did for over 30 years. It just seemed I lost my ability to tell where my shot would go so I started gap shooting. If you practice gap shooting, eventually you will start to shoot instinctively, your gap just being right for the shot.

Comment

Just reread this and wanted to update where I'm at with it. I've not built a delineated target yet but did find a 5x5x5 box at work that's pretty thick and will bring it home this weekend to use. I've noticed that less than or at 10 yards out I just look where I want the shaft to go and most times it does, within a margin of course. Out to 15-20 or so (I don't have any marked off ranges here at the house) I find that I put the arrow point pretty much on the spot where I want to hit and when I do everything right it goes there. I'm guessing that I'm instinctive in close as I'm more comfortable there and gap shooting when I get out of my comfort range.

Richard.

Comment

Great and simple explanation. I will try this coming week. I have not shoot my traditional bows in 7 or 8 years, so it might be easy to break old habits. Might be have to make new arrows first.

Comment

Nice thread

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

1 question- with this meathod, do you focus on the target or the end of your arrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X