Fitting shotgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting shotgun?

Hey everyone, a few years back, I bought a CZ canvasback, and I absolutely hate it. It's a great gun, but I can't hit the broad side of a barn. It's not the gun, but the fit.

Last year I broke out my old Mossberg 500, and I almost doubled my hit ratio.

With Dove season upon us, im looking at getting a different double. So the question is, what doubles have a similar dimension to a mossberg 500? I plan on going to look at a few citoris, but really don't want to end up with a bad fitting shotgun again.

Look up the specs on your Mossberg, lop, drop at comb and drop at heel. Look for these same specs on guns you are interested in and try to match parameters on them to be same or very close. Generally works out very well for fit if you shoot a certain gun well. Not a fool proof method but very close.

Comment

Yeah, I started there. I can find length of pull specs. It's 13" and change, but I can't find anything for comb or heel on most of the shotguns I find on the web.

It's an old 500AB that is at least 30 years old. I'll find my notes on the exact specs of my Mossberg when I get home tonight
      Last edited by Craw3773; 07-31-2021, 06:04 PM.

Comment

You need to get your O/U fitted to you by a gun fitter....not go on a wild goose chase hoping to find perfect fitment on an off the shelf gun matching a mossberg 500. In my research rarely was there a gun below 14" LOP. That 13" is bordering on youth stock short. I had my Browning 725 cut down and fitted and it was the best thing I ever did for my dove hunting.
        Last edited by Smart; 07-31-2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Check to see if it's set up for cast on our cast off.

Here's an article that might help you

The key to good wingshooting requires two things, a consistent gun mount and a shotgun that shoots

When we go to God by prayer, the devil knows we go to fetch strength against him, and therefore he opposeth us all he can.

R. Sibbes
          Last edited by Pushbutton2; 07-31-2021, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            You need to get your O/U fitted to you by a gun fitter....not go on a wild goose hunt that you can find perfect fitment on an off the shelf gun matching a mossberg 500. In my research rarely was there a gun below 14" LOP. That 13" is bordering on youth stock short. I had my Browning 725 cut down and fitted and it was the best thing I ever did for my dove hunting.
            Anyone have a recommendation for a good gunfitter in NE san antonio? What should someone expect to pay for this service?

Comment

You got one of the best competition scatter gun ranges on the planet in your backyard...I would do a search & see what their schedule is so you can get some informed 411.

Comment

There are several in San Antonio at the national shooting complex. Depending on what you need done to the gun to fit you is what the price will be.

Comment

If your interested in selling that call lmk please!

Comment

Cz*

Comment

The most popular guy here charges 250 for fitting. That usually covers everything but bending the stock

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Before you go to cutting or a fitter I would try couple of simple things. If your gun has a thick pad take it off and see if it fits better or worse. Its a real simple test and you will know right away if it helped when you shoulder the gun. If it fits better take it to a pattern board and see where its shooting and adjust from there, one thing at a time.

Comment

<

Comment

In order to become a good shotgunner the first thing you must do is establish that your shotgun shoots where you look. Draw a three inch bulls eye on a large piece of cardboard and place about fifteen yards away. Put in a tight choke and quickly shoot several shots without taking careful aim by simply mounting the gun and shooting while keeping your eyes focused only on the bulls eye. Again focus only on the bulls eye, do not look at the front bead on the shotgun. The shotguns front bead should be visible only in your peripheral vision. Do not readjust the gun position to line up the bead or this exercise will not tell you where your shotgun shoots. The goal of this test is to find out where your shotgun prints the center of the pattern when you don’t have the time to take a bead or adjust your hold. After four or five shots you should begin to see where the center of your pattern is striking on the cardboard. If after shooting, the center of your pattern is not mostly on the bull or just to the top of the bull you will need to adjust your shotgun until it shoots to the center or just a tad high. Many shotguns have shims in the stock to make these adjustments, just follow the manufacturer’s instructions to adjust the stock. I won’t go into shotgun fit here as it would take a complete article to cover it, but you will never shoot well instinctively unless your shotgun fits you. Many people shoot well with a shotgun that does not fit as they have learned to adjust there form to the gun. Once you have a gun that fits you will be able to develop to your full potential. With a shotgun that shoots where you look, you will only need to see your target to hit it. You will also become much more efficient at quick shooting those shots where you only have a moment to fire. At the National Sporting Clays shoots in San Antonio there will be people that specialize in shotgun fitting and bending stocks.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I shoot a low 80 with my Mossberg 500, and a mid 70 with my grandfather's winchester m59. I'm not a professional by any means.

Last time I used the CZ, I shot 5 stand, and hit 8 of 25 targets. That was pretty much the breaking point for me. I measured all 3 of them, and comb drop is within 1/4" on all 3. The heel is the same as my mossberg. The LOP is almost an inch longer (11/16") apart from the other two.

I'm going to drop by Durys and see what feels good. I'll also swing out to the shooting complex. Does anyone know if they rent shotguns?

Comment

Working...
                              X