No announcement yet.

Deer lures - honest opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BY FAR the best BUCK attractant, bar none, is Rattling.. Rattling at the correct time during the season is key.. There is a 2 week period each year that this technique will attract the maximum amount of bucks far above any other "attractant" method but this time frame varies by region... It has worked for me with great success in every area of this state, from the coast to the panhandle and many places in between....

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
      Can you guys post a pic of this product? Exactly how do you use it? Thanks.

Comment

I have had rattling antlers and estrous work many times but only when the prerut is in full swing. Living 280 miles away and working, it's hard for me to catch the peak of the pre-rut but the one time I really hit it, I could have dunked a sock in estrous, tied it to some twine and pulled it all around the ranch, sat in a chair and watched as every buck on our place followed the scent right to me. It was really cool. They came to rattling, they came to decoys they came to estrous and from downwind without a care for my stink.

That said, I always use buck and doe urine as a cover scent and add estrous as the we move closer to the rut. I will tickle the rattle bag throughout the season rattling aggressively as the peak of the rut hits. These only seem to help.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
            Special Golden Estrous comes with a wick. I also buy a scent drag. Soak it and then walk to the stand crossing trails along the way. You can see the buck on the trail. When I reach the stand I soak the wick and hang it in a tree nearby. You can see the white wick just to the left of the buck in the tree.

Buck bomb comes in a black can. I spray my boots every 50-75 yds and walk to the stand. Once at the stand I finish the can off like a bug bomb. Lock trigger and mist the air.
            Worth a try.

Comment

I’m fortunate the deer in Cypress Mill aren’t very smart because all I use as a cover scent is vanilla and it works like magic

Comment

Pea gravel and my sisters old tampon is all I have had success with....

Comment

I use a drag when going in and out. Many times I have had deer follow my trail. I will drag out to several areas and back into my shooting lanes and often times they will follow them in with their nose on the ground.

Comment

Nope!
                    Never had any luck with them, quit trying years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                      If you or anyone on your lease shoots a deer, cut off the tarsals...the tufts of hair on the back legs. Put them in a ziploc sandwich bag and freeze them for future use.

Hang them head high in a tree near your stand. Best "lure" I have found.
                      i have used this technique several times with great success

Comment

I’m going to try some in hopes of coaxing out a couple nice bucks that seem to be nocturnal.

Comment

Sucker born every day...I was one for a few years.. corn /roasted soy beans/ alfalfa hay/food plots...are my go too ...

Comment

I have had bucks follow a drag straight to my stand and smell the drag hanging in the tree. It works during the right time of year and when done properly. Most people over scent. Just like rattling horns. Work great when they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've never had a buck spook from corn. Don't get me started about "hand corn". Used a Buck Bomb once. The first buck that came in walked over, sniffed it and "exploded". I guess that's why they call it a bomb. He literally jumped out of his skin and exited once he hit the ground. (Oklahoma buck so that may explain it). Scent control is the way I've killed all my deer. Ozonics, sprays, scent free laundry, etc. I do all this, but 99% of my kills have been on a good wind.

Comment

Protein if you don’t feed it

Put it in a couple of piles around and it will draw then

Comment

Working...
                                X