Deer lures - honest opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer lures - honest opinions

I've never used anything other than food baits for deer so I'd like to know what are some "real" lures that have worked for y'all in the past. It seems like most of the stuff for sale is lure for the hunter above all else. I've seen so many "buck bombs" and similar that it's hard to separate science from marketing. Will anyone share some legit recommendations? I do appreciate it.

Copious amounts of corn is the only thing I know works for sure

Comment

All a gimmick IMHO. Lots of other “lures” are as well.

Kinda like fishing lures, more are made to catch the fisherman than the fish.

Comment

Be interested in the answers

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Used Special Golden Estrous all wknd and sat basically 2 full days. Not a single deer blew and actually saw the most deer I have ever seen in a sit. This is in East Tx and that should say a lot. Big target buck came in to the scent wick. Never got a shot but I say it worked!

Killed a mature 8pt 4 yrs ago with a buck bomb. Sprayed my boots walking in and he came in with his head down on the walk in trail.

I think the scents work if used at the right time. Just don’t use Tinks or anything with his name on it.

Buck Bomb buck
          Attached Files

Comment

If you or anyone on your lease shoots a deer, cut off the tarsals...the tufts of hair on the back legs. Put them in a ziploc sandwich bag and freeze them for future use.

Hang them head high in a tree near your stand. Best "lure" I have found.

Comment

Golden estrous as well,great cover scent and attracts bucks during the rut

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                If you or anyone on your lease shoots a deer, cut off the tarsals...the tufts of hair on the back legs. Put them in a ziploc sandwich bag and freeze them for future use.

This as well. I’ll use tarsals and even go as far as emptying the bladder and using the urine.

Comment

I’ve seen the buck bombs work on occasion.Put one out and walked up to my stand and dang if I didn’t have a big ten all over it we I turned around he must have been laid up close. I made my first mock scrape a week ago wit synthetic urine and I have activity on it already.But mainly corn soybean salt lick rye grass and alfalfa hay when it’s cold and bare.

Comment

the most successful tactic is to do nothing but not be seen, heard or smelled. leave the gimmicks for the new hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                      the most successful tactic is to do nothing but not be seen, heard or smelled. leave the gimmicks for the new hunters.
                      I am a master at that and even did it for twenty years against dogs and humans...But

There are a couple of tricks

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post

^^^^^^^^^
                        This. Corn works really well too.

Comment

Over the last 35 years I have tried most of them. I would say 99% had no positive effect. My favorite was the buck bomb. The guy who came up with that was genius.

Comment

I’ve had some success with buck bombs sprayed directly on trees before a rattling session. All honesty the best scent I’ve found that works is human **** in particular female. Anytime I’m out and have to pee I go pee by my stand. If a female is around and she needs to pee she goes pop a squat at whatever stand I want to hunt.

Comment

I have had success making my own mock scrapes. I'll paw out some ground with the heel of my boot, making sure to pick a spot that has overhanging branches low enough so the bucks can lift up their heads and mess with them, then I pee in them.

Human urine loses its distinctive 'human' scent identifier in around a minute. Then its just urine and the bucks think a rival buck is doing it. Works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X