Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 Saltwater Thread Part II

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
    So tell me about the crashed recon. How far off was he? Following gps or what?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
    It’s in the ICW in POC. It has a couple of entrances with bulkheads/walls that stick out into the ICW a bit. I’ve never been by there at night, but I’d assume there would be lights on the end. Judging by the pics, they hit it the way in. They weren’t off by a whole lot. It also looks like they were moving at a pretty good clip. I can only speculate what happened, were they following their gps? Were the lights out on the bulkhead? I run a bunch at night, and you really have to be on edge. When I first started doing it, man it was nerve racking. It still is, but I do every time I go fishing so I’m used to it. You have to be cautious, vigilant, and focused. You have to dim your electronics so you’re not blinded, light bars will mess up your night vision as well. Depth perception is messed up at night. It’s easy to mess up, I’ve put my boat on the bank twice. Lol

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
    qb,

From what i have heard they were running out of the sanctuary and hit a bulkhead. I have a few picks of the boat and know of them but don't know them personally. I'm praying for all involved.

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    I heard they were coming in which would make it easier to understand how they hit the bulkhead but who knows

Ok so here is a new twist. Garmin was hacked last Thursday. The idiot Russian wants 10million from garmin and they have been down 5 days so far.

Supposedly they had light issues and went off of Garmin GPS which was wrong.
    There is more to the story but that’s all I am sharing. No it was not me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
      Ok so here is a new twist. Garmin was hacked last Thursday. The idiot Russian wants 10million from garmin and they have been down 5 days so far.

Supposedly they had light issues and went off of Garmin GPS which was wrong.
      There is more to the story but that’s all I am sharing. No it was not me.

Wow! If true, that's absolutely infuriating to what is already a tremendous tragedy. These hackers need to be dealt with... harshly.

Comment

I don't know how Garmin units work, but that seems like a heck of a stretch.

Comment

I still struggle with several thoughts. Why were they on a boat that late at night in those weather conditions? As I understand they left a gathering in POC to head back to the Sanctuary. Wind was already puffing very strong due to Hurricane Hannah in the Gulf. Also, how do you not know the location of those bulkheads if you are familiar with the Sanctuary and POC which I have am led to believe they were. It is really sad someone had to lose their life. I hope we learn more to the story. For now, its been a conversation starter with my two teenage boys who are starting to navigate on their own.

Comment

Extremely sad!!!
            Extremely sad!!!!

I’m on the water almost 2000 hours a year, I make my living on the water, with that being said, I still make terrible mistakes, most of the time these are caused by being overconfident, or just being negligent. I catch myself sometimes getting ready to hit something because I simply got comfortable....
            Being on the water is dangerous enough without adding darkness
            Last edited by Leemo; 07-27-2020, 01:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

No way in hail I run at night, half the time get nervous when it's broad daylight with an the crap floating out there.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Agreed.

Not to mention if it were true, we'll never know

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                  Extremely sad!!!
                  Extremely sad!!!!

I’m on the water almost 2000 hours a year, I make my living on the water, with that being said, I still make terrible mistakes, most of the time these are caused by being overconfident, or just being negligent. I catch myself sometimes getting ready to hit something because I simply got comfortable....
                  Being on the water is dangerous enough without adding darkness
                  Complacency - this is certainly a big issue.

An example of this.....I used to run/work with a bunch of Coast Guard Helicopter pilots. A standing rule in Alaska, flying rotary, you have 1 year to fly up there before they ground you and send the pilot back to the lower 48.

Ice, fog and mountains - flying by the seat of their pants in adverse conditions....when the pilot becomes relaxed and somewhat comfortable, after weeks of pucker factor - it's time to rotate the pilot out.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post

I also agree but that is the latest update.

Garmin is being asked to pay a $10 million ransom after a cyberattack has taken down its systems and apps including its website for five days. Maksim Yakubets, 33, is believed to be behind it.

Comment

If anyone wants any 4 horseman corks hit me up. I’m a Texas rep and will sell in bulk for a discount to tbh’ers. At least 6 but cheaper for 10 or more. I have some wrapped but all styles on hand

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                        I also agree but that is the latest update.

Garmin is being asked to pay a $10 million ransom after a cyberattack has taken down its systems and apps including its website for five days. Maksim Yakubets, 33, is believed to be behind it.

Yeah so it's basically effected online accounts and a fitness app and the company's internal files it seems, it's not like it affects satellite position location or wirelessly downloads incorrect maps to people's devices.
                        The ransomware attack works by encrypting the company's data, rendering it inaccessible to employees. Evil Corp have demanded a $10 million ransom for the data to be freed up.
                        edit: I realize we're all speculating and reaching for some logical reason this happened since no details are being released and no statements form the 4 living individuals have been made public. If we're left to speculation, usually the most simple explanation is the one that ends up being the case.
                        Last edited by justletmein; 07-27-2020, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossback View Post
                          If anyone wants any 4 horseman corks hit me up. I’m a Texas rep and will sell in bulk for a discount to tbh’ers. At least 6 but cheaper for 10 or more. I have some wrapped but all styles on hand
                          I've used these a few times now and really like them. Loud and well made.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossback View Post
                            Great guy to do business with! Great communication & fast shipping!

Comment

Supposed to have occurred a little after midnight, they were obviously moving.
                              The other four people are out of the hospital with minor injuries currently.

Pics of wrecked SCB

One person is dead after a boating accident in Port O’ Connor around midnight, July 25.
                              Calhoun County Game Wardens responded to a boating accident near the Sanctuary entrance and the Intercoastal Waterway.
                              There were five people on the boat. Three people were injured, while one male in his 30s was found dead 600 yards from the boating accident site, according to Calhoun County Game Warden Chelsea Bailey.
                              A United States Coast Guard helicopter located the body approximately at 2:30 a.m.
                              Texas Game Wardens, USCG, Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office and Port Lavaca Fire Department assisted in the recovery.

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 07-27-2020, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                                Has anybody heard how hard the storm hit the Land Cut? A friend of mine has a cabin on one of the spoils islands on the north end. There are some nice/new camps but lots of ramshackle ones that looked like they were barely standing to start with.. Just wondering if it blew hard enough to knock them into the ICW
                                Land cut was hit very hard. 115 mph winds and isolated tornados. Lots of damage. I rent Capt from Capt Justin with laguna adventure his land cut cabin is pretty much a total lose separated walls from the deck and washed it up on another cabin. He also has another cabin on the south side of the mouth of Baffin and hit was hit hard has well. Order sad to see the hard work that goes into those cabin just trashed like that. But that’s Mother Nature and a chance you take.

Comment

Working...
                                X