No announcement yet.

Hunting Handguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally getting a chance to sit down and get back on here.

This thread makes me want to go to the gun store store tomorrow!!!

Keep posting them.

What ammo do you 10mm shooters like to hunt with?

Comment

G2 Contender in 357 Max, 12" barrel with Burris 3-12. Can't post picture

Comment

I just shot my new-to-me Ruger SBH in .44 Mag this afternoon. One thing is clear, the checkered grips are coming off and the smooth ones are going on ! Like trying to hold on to a flying rasp !

Comment

Hunting Irons!

My 2.....Ruger Super Redhawk in 10mm and Magnum Research Lone Eagle in 7-08 bought from a TBH'r!

Comment

I just ordered a S&W 460XVR with a 14in barrel with a break. It should be in early next week. I'm looking for a good pistol scope for it. Any advise? I'm thinking a magnified fixed power so I can extend the range and see better when release the hand cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by joebriles View Post
              I just ordered a S&W 460XVR with a 14in barrel with a break. It should be in early next week. I'm looking for a good pistol scope for it. Any advise? I'm thinking a magnified fixed power so I can extend the range and see better when release the hand cannon.
              Leupold

Comment

Freedom arms model 83's in .44 Magnum and .454 Casull. TC Encore in 7mm BR and .45/70. 6inch 1911 in 10mm that I built.

Comment

Originally posted by cbrown View Post

Keep posting them.

Im shooting 180 grain Buffalo Bore

Comment

Originally posted by joebriles View Post
                    Burris makes a good pistol scope

Comment

Originally posted by cbrown View Post

Keep posting them.

My handloads with either the 200 grain cast out of RCBS mold, or 200 grain Hornady XTP bullets. With either Longshot, Power Pistol, or 800x powder.

Comment

#

Comment

hunting pistols I have owned and since sold

TC Contender 22 Hnt - this was my West TX jackrabbit and turkey pistol

MOA switch barrel: 250 Savage / 6PPC

HS Precision 6PPC

currently own this S&W M629 Perf. Cntr 44 Mag Stealth Hunter

and this custom Ruger Mk III 22LR built 25 yrs ago - used for shooting squirrel and snakes

Comment

One of the most interesting hunting pistols I have ever had the opportunity to shoot was a custom barreled Encore with a 15 inch barrel with brake, in .375 H&H Magnum Ackley Improved. I had already owned an Encore barrel in .45/70 in a 15 inch, without a brake and found it pretty easy to reach obnoxious level, especially with 500 grain grain cast bullets approaching 1500 fps. But my friend already had handloads with 270 and 300 grain bullets, and since I had a chronograph and a shooting range at my place, I was elected as guinea pig... That pistol delivered the goods.. 2650 fps. with his 270 grain handloads and a solid 2605 average for the 300's! That is almost the same as the standard .375H&H out of a rifle length barrel. And the recoil wasn't nearly as obnoxious as my own .45/70 unbraked barrel with top loads. It seemed the big .375 Improved had enough pressure remaining at the muzzle to really make that brake work. You could tell the brake was doing it's job, as empty cartridge sleeves would be blown off the bench, and you could feel your cheeks ripple a bit at each squeeze of the trigger. We only shot the gun at 50 yard targets through the chronograph, but the loads would stay in about an inch, with the 2x scope we had on it. Not sure what the set up weighed, but he was probably producing around 1000 ft. lbs. of energy per pound of pistol weight, as the 300 grain loads were making some 4500 ft. lbs of muzzle energy. The downside to the gun was the absolute necessity of wearing some kind of hearing protection in the field, even for one shot! I am not sure who made that barrel for him, but I believe either SSK or Bullberry.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                              One of the most interesting hunting pistols I have ever had the opportunity to shoot was a custom barreled Encore with a 15 inch barrel with brake, in .375 H&H Magnum Ackley Improved. I had already owned an Encore barrel in .45/70 in a 15 inch, without a brake and found it pretty easy to reach obnoxious level, especially with 500 grain grain cast bullets approaching 1500 fps. But my friend already had handloads with 270 and 300 grain bullets, and since I had a chronograph and a shooting range at my place, I was elected as guinea pig... That pistol delivered the goods.. 2650 fps. with his 270 grain handloads and a solid 2605 average for the 300's! That is almost the same as the standard .375H&H out of a rifle length barrel. And the recoil wasn't nearly as obnoxious as my own .45/70 unbraked barrel with top loads. It seemed the big .375 Improved had enough pressure remaining at the muzzle to really make that brake work. You could tell the brake was doing it's job, as empty cartridge sleeves would be blown off the bench, and you could feel your cheeks ripple a bit at each squeeze of the trigger. We only shot the gun at 50 yard targets through the chronograph, but the loads would stay in about an inch, with the 2x scope we had on it. Not sure what the set up weighed, but he was probably producing around 1000 ft. lbs. of energy per pound of pistol weight, as the 300 grain loads were making some 4500 ft. lbs of muzzle energy. The downside to the gun was the absolute necessity of wearing some kind of hearing protection in the field, even for one shot! I am not sure who made that barrel for him, but I believe either SSK or Bullberry.
                              Amazing ! I'd probably have to be drunk to agree to shoot that pistol.....

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                                Amazing ! I'd probably have to be drunk to agree to shoot that pistol.....
                                I sat at the bench for a minute, looking at those cartridges, and back at the pistol. I'd shot some pretty good sized hardware before, but not like that. I thought I might have an out -of- body experience or even catch a fleeting glimpse of Elvis when I squeezed the trigger...And it did recoil, but not like I thought it would. About like a .454 Casull.

Comment

Working...
                                X