No announcement yet.

Barn Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a 50'x100'x22' barn with 2 rows of 3 lights and it is an operating room. Totally lit up with these LED. I have attached a cutsheet for the fixtures. Good luck.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
      What are your goals? Storage vs a work area need different amounts of lighting. I had a guy do a professional light design and in my work area (35x35) I have 12 LED Highbay lights. The storage area 50x15 uses 4' led tube fixtures. The bright light is very nice in the work area.
      Combination of both. Right now I’m thinking mainly general area lighting. Later I can add some focused work lights near my benches and work areas.

Comment

If you knew how bright you wanted it(in Foot Candles) and which fixture I could do a quick lighting design for you.

for example, if you want 30FC with this fixture you would need 9 fixtures:

If you bump it up to the 135W version you'd just need 6 fixtures.

FWIW, 30FC is on the high end of what most commercial warehouses are designed for. 40-50FC is office lighting and I've seen a lot of manufacturing in that range or even lower. For very detailed work you might want 100FC. But I think if you went 30 and then added a couple of low hanging strip lights over work tables/areas you would be good.

Comment

If it's more workshop than barn and you want it plenty bright then to get to 50 foot-candles you would need 9 of the 162W version. This is just an example with this particular fixture because I've been working on a design for a egg processing plant this week with this particular fixture but if you find other fixtures with similar lumen outputs it would be very close as far as fixture counts in a small enclosed area like this.

180,000 total lumens in the shop would be over 50FC
          100,000 total lumens would be around 30FC or so

This assumes the walls/ceilings are fairly reflective and not painted black

Comment

Awesome info! M walls and ceilings have a white bubble insulation on them, so I would figure they’re reflective.

Comment

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
              our 40'x60'x17' has (8) 8' 2-bulb fluorescent fixtures that were installed prior to the LED world. Tons of light, but seeing some of the stuff above makes me want to swap fixtures.
              Get led bulbs for the lights, have to isolate the ballast.

Comment

The electricians are wiring my 40 x 50 barn as I type.

I will try to get the brand and part # of the LED lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                  I bought my dad 20 of these lights for Christmas, 2 10 packs. It was plenty for his 50x40 metal building. That's 90,000 lumens of light.

They are linkable up to 10 fixtures and come with the wiring to link them together. So it saved a bunch of money on wiring.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/linkable-...lp_product_1_4
                  This is what I did on a 40x60x16. I hung the lights at 12’. I used 10 fixtures. Only issue is near the perimeter walls I tend to get a shadow.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                    Get led bulbs for the lights, have to isolate the ballast.
                    be careful if using direct wire ballast bypass LED tubes(Type B). Lots of people have safety concerns over those. The existing lamp holder sockets are designed for low voltage so higher voltage direct to the sockets could cause them to fail, melt, catch fire etc not to mention the shock hazard in the future if someone isn't aware of the line voltage going to the socket. It's the cheapest option but lots of companies we work with will not install them in any of their facilities due to safety concerns. Oncor and many other utilities do not approve of them for their rebate programs either.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                      be careful if using direct wire ballast bypass LED tubes(Type B). Lots of people have safety concerns over those. The existing lamp holder sockets are designed for low voltage so higher voltage direct to the sockets could cause them to fail, melt, catch fire etc not to mention the shock hazard in the future if someone isn't aware of the line voltage going to the socket. It's the cheapest option but lots of companies we work with will not install them in any of their facilities due to safety concerns. Oncor and many other utilities do not approve of them for their rebate programs either.
                      Can you clear that up for me a little. The OCV on most t8 ballast are in 600v
                      range start up which is much higher than the 120v required for LED tubes.
                      My problem is what is the output voltages of them after startup? I know it's gonna be lower but is it still higher than 120v? If so then the statement about potential tombstones melting, fail,etc is not accurate. I'm just trying to figure where Oncor and other utilites got their info from. I'm not sure myself but it's interesting cause LED tubes are being installed everywhere and ballasts bypassed. I myself have changed out several for customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                        If you knew how bright you wanted it(in Foot Candles) and which fixture I could do a quick lighting design for you.

for example, if you want 30FC with this fixture you would need 9 fixtures:

If you bump it up to the 135W version you'd just need 6 fixtures.

FWIW, 30FC is on the high end of what most commercial warehouses are designed for. 40-50FC is office lighting and I've seen a lot of manufacturing in that range or even lower. For very detailed work you might want 100FC. But I think if you went 30 and then added a couple of low hanging strip lights over work tables/areas you would be good.
                        For My work area, the lighting designer hit 90-100fc. The storage side was 50-60. After working in the bright light, I wouldnt go back. Im sure adding an extra 25-30% in lighting wasnt that big of a cost difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                          The electricians are wiring my 40 x 50 barn as I type.

I will try to get the brand and part # of the LED lights.
                          Here it is.
                          Attached Files

Comment

LED
                            If you want you can call any electrical distribution company and they have people that will come out for free to give you a layout analysis.
                            You can always add more.

Comment

40'x40'x16' shop.

Five 4 lamp high bay LEDs on the 16' ceiling (16'400 equivalent lumens each). Four 2 lamp LEDs under the loft (5700 lumens each). Two single tube LEDs above the loft. All lights except the two single lamp fixtures came from Prime Lights out of Austin. Call them they will do their best to meet your needs and budget.

https://www.primelights.com/?gclid=C...IaAtNKEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

My electrician brought out some high bay leds and we put it up next to a UFO. No comparison. The UFO blew the high bay led clean out of the water.

Comment

Working...
                                X