No announcement yet.

Was a chili kinda day…. Aoudad chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y’all are mean. At least I was nice and said it makes good jerky. Then again you can make jerky out of just about anything.

Comment

I'd give it a try.

Comment

You do you man! If you like it that's great and enjoy.

Prima Donnas are everywhere.

Comment

Some of you guys need to spend some time in Southern Louisiana and you’ll realize that if it had a heart beat at one time it is edible.

Comment

I take it that Aoudad should be called AouBad

Never even had it so i have no skin in the game

Comment

Prepared properly, the ewes and young rams r yummy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m absolutely loving the comments!!!

This was my first Aoudad and I try to eat everything I kill. Boar hogs and predators are the only thing that doesn’t at least get a try.
                We had dried sausage made from it and we are really liking it.
                Everything was put into the sausage except the backstraps which I had butterflied. We fried some and it was great. Diced some last night and made this chili and loved it.

When I cleaned the ram I kept thinking how clean it smelled. Less gamey smell than when you clean a deer. When I was a kid my grandfather butchered a goat every year and I would help. The smell of that was horrible and when I began cleaning the Aoudad that’s what I was expecting to smell, but it wasn’t the case. Maybe I just got a clean one, but I’ve been happy with this meat and will definitely try it again.

I guess I could grill one of the backstrap medallions medium rare to get a “real” flavor profile. Might try that and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ewes and young Rams eat fine! If you smell them before you find em I won’t eat em! I bet 90pxt of the folks saying they’re not good to eat have never eaten one. I’ll grind the hams to burger. Chili and tacos are good. The back straps were like trying to eat a rubber boot though.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                    Ewes and young Rams eat fine! If you smell them before you find em I won’t eat em! I bet 90pxt of the folks saying they’re not good to eat have never eaten one. I’ll grind the hams to burger. Chili and tacos are good. The back straps were like trying to eat a rubber boot though.

Is this a young ram?..

Comment

I've had it before. A little gamier than coyote, but not bad with ketchup

Comment

I killed one on a TPWD draw hunt back in '80... When we got to it lying dead at the bottom of a huge canyon (Palo Duro), ranch guide said, "If I was you, i'd skin out what I wanted to mount and leave the rest right where he's at." No way I was going to do that, so 9 hours later I got out of the canyon with the whole animal... I should have listened to the rancher!
                        After getting home from the processor, wife and I decided we'd try some... She got out her cast iron skillet to "grill" steaks on top of the stove... soon as it started to get hot and sizzle in the frying pan, I asked her, "What in the world is that awful smell?!" She said, "I think it's this meat!"... to which I replied, "no way unless you dropped a dirty, bloody sock in with it!" Sure enough it stunk up the whole house... She got far enough along to flip the steaks once, then I grabbed the whole skillet and took it out in the back yard and dumped it out... No matter what she did to that skillet from that point on, soon as it started to get hot, it smelled just like that dang meat... What's bad is that was her "cornbread skillet"!! She actually finally threw it away... Ain't no way I'm every knowingly going to try that nasty crap again!!
                        OP, I'm glad you're liking it. Good for you... Like you said, maybe you got lucky, but everyone I personally know that has killed a big mature ram, had the same experience that I did with regard to taste/smell when they tried to eat it...
                        I have absolutely no desire to every kill another one. I have this one on the wall as a trophy. That is sufficient for me.

Comment

This thread is entertaining.

Just because it’s “edible” doesn’t mean you have to eat it.

There’s too many ribeyes, Elk, and Axis steaks in the world to eat mediocre food.

Glad you like it though OP.

I can’t even imagine the apocalyptic, Armageddon type of day I’d be having to think it’s an aoudad type of day.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 02-01-2023, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I've never had an aoudad that wasn't good. From ewes to mature giant rams, they were all good. I've actually eaten more old mature rams than young rams and ewes. These threads always make me laugh. The tough comments I can understand as steaks do require a meat mallet to make them tender.

Also on a forum where most prefer to eat store bought beef over wild game they kill

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              I killed one on a TPWD draw hunt back in '80... When we got to it lying dead at the bottom of a huge canyon (Palo Duro), ranch guide said, "If I was you, i'd skin out what I wanted to mount and leave the rest right where he's at." No way I was going to do that, so 9 hours later I got out of the canyon with the whole animal... I should have listened to the rancher!
                              After getting home from the processor, wife and I decided we'd try some... She got out her cast iron skillet to "grill" steaks on top of the stove... soon as it started to get hot and sizzle in the frying pan, I asked her, "What in the world is that awful smell?!" She said, "I think it's this meat!"... to which I replied, "no way unless you dropped a dirty, bloody sock in with it!" Sure enough it stunk up the whole house... She got far enough along to flip the steaks once, then I grabbed the whole skillet and took it out in the back yard and dumped it out... No matter what she did to that skillet from that point on, soon as it started to get hot, it smelled just like that dang meat... What's bad is that was her "cornbread skillet"!! She actually finally threw it away... Ain't no way I'm every knowingly going to try that nasty crap again!!
                              OP, I'm glad you're liking it. Good for you... Like you said, maybe you got lucky, but everyone I personally know that has killed a big mature ram, had the same experience that I did with regard to taste/smell when they tried to eat it...
                              I have absolutely no desire to every kill another one. I have this one on the wall as a trophy. That is sufficient for me.
                              Exactly! I shot an old ram about 10 years ago near Fort Davis. I asked the rancher about keeping the meat, and he replied "your teeth aren't strong enough to chew this meat." I asked "I wonder if the Comanches had strong enough teeth to eat them back in the old days?" He then looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and said "I don't guess they ever had a chance to try since the Aoudad didn't arrive to the New World until the late 1940's"

We did not keep the meat, and I am like you SaltwaterSlick. I don't have an interest in shooting another one...

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                                I've never had an aoudad that wasn't good. From ewes to mature giant rams, they were all good. I've actually eaten more old mature rams than young rams and ewes. These threads always make me laugh. The tough comments I can understand as steaks do require a meat mallet to make them tender.

Also on a forum where most prefer to eat store bought beef over wild game they kill

Heck we laugh back at y'all eating them...

Comment

Working...
                                X