No announcement yet.

Chasing the grand slam!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Doc!! That's a beautiful animal!

Comment

What a hunt…congratulations on a successful hunt!

Thanks for taking us along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great story, I am happy for you and your accomplishments.

Comment

Congrates! Yesterday was a bit long, so I missed this but found it today.

Outstanding story and finish to the Grand Slam.

The dang recap was so good I'm about to pop 800mg of ibuprofen for my own knees.

Comment

One last meal before I head back to reality! ****, it’s been fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
              Well I'm 54 and can tell you I'll never be able to get in shape to do anything remotely close to this hunt anymore. I tip my hat to you for doing it !

What is a legal ram there? Would this be considered a 3/4 curl ? Age of the ram? I'm just curious, not banging you.

A legal ram in most areas of Alberta has to be 4/5 curl. If you draw a line from the front part of the base through the front of the eye then the horn on one side must break that plane. Much more wiggle room once caped out. If I was by myself there is no way in hell I shoot that ram. It made it by 3/4 to 1 inch. My ram looks like he was 6 years old. I have mixed emotions. If I thought I might see a bigger ram I would have considered passing. After talking to these guys, on a typical hunt you see one legal ram about every 14 days. Overall long term success with an outfitter runs 50%. My guys probably run 80-100% opportunity per year which is great. Always the hunter side of the equation gets mixed in. If I went bow only I bet my chances were 10-15 percent. There was one area that was ideal to bowhunt and they see rams there every year. We didn’t see any in that spot.

Comment

Grand slam celebration! Thanks for following along, I’m done until the big white bear.

Comment

Crap, forgot the pic!!!!!

Comment

Amazing! Great job and congrats.

Comment

Doc, you do everything right from the hunt to the meals. Congrats on an awesome hunt, sheep.

Bob

Comment

Amazing stuff, Doc!

Comment

Epic Doc. Man you always get it done. What’s your next hunt? Whitetail with the bow in hill country? You headed back to that Starr ranch?

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                            Epic Doc. Man you always get it done. What’s your next hunt? Whitetail with the bow in hill country? You headed back to that Starr ranch?

I’ll be hunting the lease in Mason with the family. Not seeing any trophy bucks but there will be targets. The wife and I go to Spain in November. Both hunting ibex. Then in April I have the big one—-Polar Bear!!!

Comment

Great hunt and recap Doc. I, as many here, follow your hunts because you do such a great job with the story and pictures. Congratulations and Gig’em!

Comment

I was curious how many have completed the slam so I had to go look.

As of Jan 2021 only 173 people have done it. Pretty incredible really.

Comment

Working...
                                X