No announcement yet.

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young deer i was hoping would live, someone made a bad shot around Thanksgiving and he didn't make it through new years.
    Really wanted those split brows to grow a few more years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good year for numbers here. Doe were non existent during early season/rut. Once the acorns ran out, they were coming out of the wood works.

Had some mediocre bucks that just weren’t there, so they walked. Hoping next year has better options in the way of head gear. I can’t complain as if I really wanted to kill something, I easily could have.

Comment

It was a good one. Our season ended Sunday, already ready for October.
        Attached Files

Comment

This year I finally figured out my part of Sabine National Forest. Saw 4 shooters the second weekend but was holding out for a bigger buck. Came back before Christmas and shot one of the nice 8s on the 211st.
          I'm stoked for this fall now I'll be retired and can stay a couple of weeks if I need to.

Comment

One of our guys shot this deer in October, and hit him low. He put the dogs on him and they jumped him a couple of times so the decided to leave him until the next day. Long story short, they never found him. He was filling protein feeders last week and decided to look for him now that all the leaves are gone, and ended up finding him 100 yards from where they stopped looking. 151 3/8

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
              One of our guys shot this deer in October, and hit him low. He put the dogs on him and they jumped him a couple of times so the decided to leave him until the next day. Long story short, they never found him. He was filling protein feeders last week and decided to look for him now that all the leaves are gone, and ended up finding him 100 yards from where they stopped looking. 151 3/8

That’s a shame. Looks like we’re gonna be neighbors now. We’ll have to hook up sometimes and compare notes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                That’s a shame. Looks like we’re gonna be neighbors now. We’ll have to hook up sometimes and compare notes.
                Sounds good. Did you get on Kickapoo?

Comment

Free gumbo for everyone [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                    Sounds good. Did you get on Kickapoo?

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                      Free gumbo for everyone [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                      What you talking about hand? I roll into camp I’m packing about 20 lbs of boiled shrimp and a gallon of raw oysters.

Comment

What you talking about hand? I roll into camp I’m packing about 20 lbs of boiled shrimp and a gallon of raw oysters.
                        I’m on the wrong lease.

Comment

Stud buck I was after this past season was his last. Neighbor 1/4 mile down the road put in a new 50” fence with 1 strand of barbwire at the top. Was helping clear a tree off the fence yesterday and started talking deer. They don’t hunt so I asked if they had any large bucks come through and first response was “we killed a big one that was hung in the fence”. Sure enough after brief description I knew it was him. Today they sent me pics. Sucks he went the way he did and on top of that they disposed of the body over the fence head and all. I searched the neighbors after permission and couldn’t locate the remains. Going on 8yrs of history with this deer and man it makes me sick to see him go wasted. Brows that you dream of over 9”. Just an all around awesome Main frame 10pt.

On to the next one.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                            Stud buck I was after this past season was his last. Neighbor 1/4 mile down the road put in a new 50” fence with 1 strand of barbwire at the top. Was helping clear a tree off the fence yesterday and started talking deer. They don’t hunt so I asked if they had any large bucks come through and first response was “we killed a big one that was hung in the fence”. Sure enough after brief description I knew it was him. Today they sent me pics. Sucks he went the way he did and on top of that they disposed of the body over the fence head and all. I searched the neighbors after permission and couldn’t locate the remains. Going on 8yrs of history with this deer and man it makes me sick to see him go wasted. Brows that you dream of over 9”. Just an all around awesome Main frame 10pt.

On to the next one.
                            Man, what a shame. And a waste...

Hope your next one is even better.

J

Comment

Man that sucks big time.

Comment

Well, I may possibly have a tough decision to make come August or so. I have two small places (40 and 45 acres) in two different counties in East Texas that I dont hunt currently. I really like the lease i have in the hill country of 640 acres, which is basically only me. I have an opportunity to add 125 acres with a cabin to my 40 acre place in Smith County, but not sure if the deal will be done by August timeframe. August gives me enough time to get everything moved from the hill country to Smith County and get everything set up properly. Plenty of game there but just never had many options on 40 acres. It will be a tough decision to move on but doubt I could get around to both very often. I definitely will miss the exotics and the lack of worries about folks messing with stuff.......but I do like the pineywoods. Definitely a curve ball, but a good one I think I can hit!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X