Dominos Robot Delivery Now In HTown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JHT View Post
    Who is at fault when one of them hits a kid on a bike?

It would almost be worth it to crash into one and see what happens.

I can't wait to see what people send back in the thing to the store.
    There are plenty of parents who would send their kids bike into the side of one to get a lawsuit going. They need 360 degree cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
      A teenage driver would be able to stop and call for help.
      A teenage driver can open security gates by entering the code manually.
      A teenage driver will get out of the way if you honk at then.
      A teenage driver can understand directions from a construction flag guy saying go through the parking lot to get around this mess.
      A teenage driver will be a little faster delivery since the speed limits will be broken.
      A teenage driver can fix a flat.
      A teenage driver isn't going to let you put offensive bumper stickers all over his car.
      A teenage driver will be smart enough to see your neighbors are throwing a party and will park down the street & just not stop at your address blocking traffic solely relying on GPS data.
      A teenage driver would stop you from taking all the other pizzas in his car he has to deliver.

I have no problem with the technology at all. I think its cool and at the same time hilarious having driven around Harris County for years for work.

I can't wait to see how they handle the 1.6 million intersections that flood during thunderstorms.

It wasn't too long ago we thought Amazon was going to be using DRONES for deliveries. Seems they ran into a little problem with the airline industry. Just a few safety concerns with unmanned objects flying around everywhere.

Shouldn't be a problem with cars though right?

We will get some real data back this week. My kids go to high school in the test area they blasted the video link to their friends who live in Woodlands Heights. I hit the parents up as well.

Regardless of the outcome it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

You give a lot of credit to teenagers today. After teaching HS for 5 years there has been a decline in teenagers in the world today. Not all....

Comment

Several Wal Mart locations I have been to had robots moping and sweeping the floors. Looked like something out of the Jetsons

Comment

Welcome to the future!

The left and big corporations love this. As it takes out the human

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
            You give a lot of credit to teenagers today. After teaching HS for 5 years there has been a decline in teenagers in the world today. Not all....

About as much credit as I give Tesla software developers.

To you LEO's,

If you were on patrol and saw a teenager surfing on one down the street,
            What would be the charge if you wanted to write the guy a ticket/fine?

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
              Omg I noticed this thread even turned negative by some folks. Mercy! Personally I am not there yet, but I am hoping technology in most cases continue to improve to give the older folks that need assistance.
              It is a absolute epidemic on whatever subject. [emoji3061]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Personal injury lawyers are licking their lips as we speak. I'm pretty surprised at some of the talk above, there's a difference between disliking technological improvement and recognizing its limits. It's true a lot of this development comes ultimately from cost-cutting, and that price may be paid in blood (and that's not an overstatement.) Post #30 raises a few good points about ALL the things a human does that an autonomous vehicle doesn't, but think about this:

A tennis ball rolls out in the street as you are driving. What do you do?

You, as a thinking human with life experience, stop because you know that 2 seconds behind that ball is a running child. A computerized system doesn't know this and won't stop for something that small (if it did, it would stop for leaves and things); you can't program for every possible scenario that can occur on the road.

I am absolutely not looking forward to more autonomous cars, God forbid autonomous big-rigs... that's a lot of mass that takes a lot to stop it. I'm as anti-government as the next guy, probably more, but I would fully support legislation to keep this crap off our roads. It's sure not ready yet, and it may never be.

Another point is inclement weather. During the big ice storm recently, the roads around here were totally snowed over, you couldn't see the lines and were just driving in the two-track that was left there by other cars. An autonomous car with an optical-based system has absolutely no way to drive that by itself, none at all, and there is not any sort of GPS available to keep a car in the lane by GPS (which is infeasible for other reasons.)

This is one big can of worms that's been opened already, and I think it deserves a little more respect than just using it as an opportunity to talk about how dumb the kids are, or take a dig at people flipping burgers.

Comment

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Kind of reminds me of a Total Recall, Johnny Cab.

Comment

Originally posted by Wile E. View Post
                      Personal injury lawyers are licking their lips as we speak. I'm pretty surprised at some of the talk above, there's a difference between disliking technological improvement and recognizing its limits. It's true a lot of this development comes ultimately from cost-cutting, and that price may be paid in blood (and that's not an overstatement.) Post #30 raises a few good points about ALL the things a human does that an autonomous vehicle doesn't, but think about this:

A tennis ball rolls out in the street as you are driving. What do you do?

You, as a thinking human with life experience, stop because you know that 2 seconds behind that ball is a running child. A computerized system doesn't know this and won't stop for something that small (if it did, it would stop for leaves and things); you can't program for every possible scenario that can occur on the road.

I am absolutely not looking forward to more autonomous cars, God forbid autonomous big-rigs... that's a lot of mass that takes a lot to stop it. I'm as anti-government as the next guy, probably more, but I would fully support legislation to keep this crap off our roads. It's sure not ready yet, and it may never be.

Another point is inclement weather. During the big ice storm recently, the roads around here were totally snowed over, you couldn't see the lines and were just driving in the two-track that was left there by other cars. An autonomous car with an optical-based system has absolutely no way to drive that by itself, none at all, and there is not any sort of GPS available to keep a car in the lane by GPS (which is infeasible for other reasons.)

This is one big can of worms that's been opened already, and I think it deserves a little more respect than just using it as an opportunity to talk about how dumb the kids are, or take a dig at people flipping burgers.
                      In those conditions. The robot would stay it's hind end home under human direction

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                        There are plenty of parents who would send their kids bike into the side of one to get a lawsuit going. They need 360 degree cameras.
                        What is that on the roof?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                          what langauge is that vid in
                          Credit card customer service lingo.

Comment

My favorite part is the guys getting the pizza from a robot is wearing a mask.......I guess because the robot could transmit Covid or vice versa?

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                              What is that on the roof?
                              There goes my consulting fee...

Comment

Anyone notice it blow thru that stop sign about the 1:00 minute mark?![emoji1787]

Comment

Working...
                                X