Talk To Me About Spotting Scopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk To Me About Spotting Scopes

The only thing I know about them is I despise the angled eye pieces. 90% of the time it will be on a window mount looking at whitetails from 300yds to a mile from my truck, the other 10% it will be mounted on a tripod. I need good clarity, light compensation is definitely a plus, and if it’s lightweight that would be even better. I’d rather not spend over $500 (new or used) but if I have to step up a little bit and it’s way worth it I’ll entertain that idea.

You're not likely to be super happy with a $500 spotting scope, unfortunately.

Comment

Nope. For $500.00 I’d not worry about it. But ... you aren’t far off. Vortex makes several good ones for around $800.00. For me, I prefer the angled over straight. I mount mine on a primos trigger stick tripod and love it. However, my son has his straight necked mounted to a gun stock and loves it that way. Definitely more mobile than mine.

**Edit-Viper Vortex 15x45x65. Should be around $650.00. Arrowsmith here on TBH has best prices.
      Last edited by bklem; 10-26-2020, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
        Nope. For $500.00 I’d not worry about it. But ... you aren’t far off. Vortex makes several good ones for around $800.00. For me, I prefer the angled over straight. I mount mine on a primos trigger stick tripod and love it. However, my son has his straight necked mounted to a gun stock and loves it that way. Definitely more mobile than mine.

**Edit-Viper Vortex 15x45x65. Should be around $650.00. Arrowsmith here on TBH has best prices.
        Is that 65mm objective going to be decent in relatively low light?

Comment

I had a 20-60X80mm Vortex spotter a few years ago. I think it was a Diamondback? It was not sharp at all, even in bright daylight. Wasn't great in low light either, aside from the lack of sharpness. Look around at some birding forums and/or facebook groups. They are optics crazy people. Lots of reviews on all makes of optics, and you can find used ones for sale at decent prices too. Best bet for a "value" spotter is a higher quality scope that's used.

Comment

This scope was given to me recently as a gift. For the money it does a pretty good job. Please bear in mind that these pics were shot in pretty dark conditions (a LOT darker than the pics show) and at over 400 yards. I'm TRYING to use my phone via the attachment that comes with it to take pics/video. It was also the first time I'd ever used it. I also ATTEMPTED to edit them to brighten them up, etc.

I've got a loooooooong way to go in order to coordinate focusing the scope and the phone. I think with a bit of experience I'll figure out how to clean up the images. Using just the spotting scope itself I was able to clearly identify points, estimate score, etc.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Slicefixer; 10-26-2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
              Is that 65mm objective going to be decent in relatively low light?
              I’d say better than decent but the 80 would obviously be better. As Shane said below, the Diamondback is much lower quality in my opinion. As he said, used is much better value also.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
                This scope was given to me recently as a gift. For the money it does a pretty good job. Please bear in mind that these pics were shot in pretty dark conditions (a LOT darker than the pics show) and at over 400 yards. I'm TRYING to use my phone via the attachment that comes with it to take pics/video. It was also the first time I'd ever used it. I also ATTEMPTED to edit them to brighten them up, etc.

I've got a loooooooong way to go in order to coordinate focusing the scope and the phone. I think with a bit of experience I'll figure out how to clean up the images. Using just the spotting scope itself I was able to clearly identify points, estimate score, etc.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
                I actually read a lot of really good reviews on this one but the price tag scared me.

Comment

Athlon Ares. I got one this year and while I am not an expert( this is my first one) I am happy with the purchase. Head over to Rokslide and search it. You will find ALOT of reviews on it and alot of praises from people that are far more experienced in this area than I am.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
                    Athlon Ares. I got one this year and while I am not an expert( this is my first one) I am happy with the purchase. Head over to Rokslide and search it. You will find ALOT of reviews on it and alot of praises from people that are far more experienced in this area than I am.
                    That was one of the others I read a lot of reviews on. What magnification is yours?

Comment

Spotting scopes are a lot like any other optic. You get what you put into them, meaning price. Are there some on the market that are "good for the price" but in my experience, you tend to see better quality the higher the price. Vortex Razor or Viper would be the lowest model I would go on the Vortex brand.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                        That was one of the others I read a lot of reviews on. What magnification is yours?
                        15-45x65

Comment

Originally posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
                          I have an Athlon Ares and it outperforms its price for sure. Rokslide has a big following for these spotters. I have the angled 15-45x65 but they make a straight version as well. It performs well at low light conditions and is clear.

Comment

ive got a vortex razor 11-33 i could be talked out of

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                              ive got a vortex razor 11-33 i could be talked out of
                              I’m looking for something with a little
                              more magnification. My scope is a 5-25

Comment

Working...
                              X