2020 Saltwater Thread Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
    Another great day on the water today. Kendall Kersh and I took these guys fishing this morning and caught a pile.

Nice Glen..... hard to fish or work with 6,587 speed boats today

Comment

Nice Glenn!!

Comment

Another great day on the water today. Kendall Kersh and I took these guys fishing this morning and caught a pile.

Your dang sure consistent!

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
          Nice Glen..... hard to fish or work with 6,587 speed boats today
          Just gotta get in there amongst 'em and go to work.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            Your dang sure consistent!
            Thank you sir! Signs of a mis-spent youth. If only I had worked as hard at school as I did at fishing... I might be traveling the world and letting other folks unhook my fish for me in many cool and exotic locations.

Learn from my mistakes kids.

Comment

Shout out to Brian for saving my *** tonight, really appreciate it brother. Some **** good people in this world, gives me hope for mankind lmao!

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Shout out to Brian for saving my *** tonight, really appreciate it brother. Some **** good people in this world, gives me hope for mankind lmao!

Just glad you’re ok brother! Been there before. Glad to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats Glenn on another great day!

Comment

Thank you sir! Signs of a mis-spent youth. If only I had worked as hard at school as I did at fishing... I might be traveling the world and letting other folks unhook my fish for me in many cool and exotic locations.

Learn from my mistakes kids.
                    Call me up..I'll come deckhand for ya and give it my best foreign accent.
                    I heard about that. Glad yall found a safe spot

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup, Bryan is good people. Glad you're ok.

Comment

Thx gang. Yeah I've been running around Espiritu duck hunting and camping the winters for 20 years so no stranger to being caught out in terrible Northerns and I've raced my fair share of storms in the middle of the night, but with that comes the experience to also know when you're licked. West Matty gets worse than Espiritu but I've been out in 30mph Northerns there before too, this one was considerably different and that NE wind angle running the length of the bay longways made for swells that was flat out irresponsible to be out running around in. I came out from coast guard station and immediately knew it was worse than I'd seen before, ran shallow as far up as I could but there was no way we were safely making it past the channel to the big island, likely would have ended up in a really bad situation had I tried it. It was blowing and nasty when I left the big island camp to go get my sister at Froggies but it wasn't dangerous bad, but on the way back to camp it was just straight up dangerous and just flat couldn't make it back. We had a good weekend though and everybody made it home safely with no unplanned swimming lessons. lol
                        Last edited by justletmein; 10-25-2020, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Thx gang. Yeah I've been running around Espiritu duck hunting and camping the winters for 20 years so no stranger to being caught out in terrible Northerns and I've raced my fair share of storms in the middle of the night, but with that comes the experience to also know when you're licked. West Matty gets worse than Espiritu but I've been out in 30mph Northerns there before too, this one was considerably different and that NE wind angle running the length of the bay longways made for swells that was flat out irresponsible to be out running around in. I came out from coast guard station and immediately knew it was worse than I'd seen before, ran shallow as far up as I could but there was no way we were safely making it past the channel to the big island, likely would have ended up in a really bad situation had I tried it. It was blowing and nasty when I left the big island camp to go get my sister at Froggies but it wasn't dangerous bad, but on the way back to camp it was just straight up dangerous and just flat couldn't make it back. We had a good weekend though and everybody made it home safely with no unplanned swimming lessons. lol

Man I have been there before. A few year ago we were duck hunting on the little island south of the cedars when a cold front hit. We were barely able to push our boats on the shore against the north wind and waves. Only had about a mile to go to get back to camp but we were running straight into 5-6’ swells. Worst boat ride ever. Scared the hell out of me. Had my buddy’s dog hooked to my leaning post and decided to unlatch him because I was seriously worried we might capsize and wanted to at least give him a fighting chance to swim to shore. Learned a few lessons that day. If I ever get caught that situation again I will leave my boat on the shore and walk the mile back.

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                            Man I have been there before. A few year ago we were duck hunting on the little island south of the cedars when a cold front hit. We were barely able to push our boats on the shore against the north wind and waves. Only had about a mile to go to get back to camp but we were running straight into 5-6’ swells. Worst boat ride ever. Scared the hell out of me. Had my buddy’s dog hooked to my leaning post and decided to unlatch him because I was seriously worried we might capsize and wanted to at least give him a fighting chance to swim to shore. Learned a few lessons that day. If I ever get caught that situation again I will leave my boat on the shore and walk the mile back.

These pics were taken about 45 minutes before all hell broke loose. Beautiful afternoon. Flat calm.

Comment

The more I think about it, we did some downright stupid crap when I was a kid to make it to the south shoreline to shoot ducks.

18’ flat bottom alweld tunnel hitting swells and walls off water coming over the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                                These pics were taken about 45 minutes before all hell broke loose. Beautiful afternoon. Flat calm.
                                Ah yeah, seen that so many times it's almost scary now. I stood on a rock groin near the old army base one January, we knew a storm was inbound and the wind just stopped, for about an hour it was muggy and buggy just gross. I heard kind of a roar like a distance train engine and walked to the rock groin, saw some water/wave action and turned and told my wife I think it's coming, turned back around and massive wind just blasts us like a wall of air and pushed me back. That was a really bad one but it was straight North.

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                                The more I think about it, we did some downright stupid crap when I was a kid to make it to the south shoreline to shoot ducks.

18’ flat bottom alweld tunnel hitting swells and walls off water coming over the bow.
                                Ducks are trouble man, lol... We had the coast guard going around tents one night waking everyone up looking for some campers. They'd run to town for something, somebody reported a capsized hull and got the TX numbers and the CG got a hold of the wife or something who told them they were out camping with us. I might be getting my memories mixed up but I think that was the one the kid survived by climbing out on to those oil rig or gas standpipes whatever they are, the uncle and father drown.

Comment

Working...
                                X