Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Good idea for some…. But if I see an old mature mgmt deer, I will
    pursue him with the vengeance of any trophy on our place even with a compound. If I draw on anything the buckfever kicks in like the first time…. Buck, doe pig or turkey. I’m just not seeing anything right now that trips my trigger and I’d much rather see some kids get their first or best buck than me shoot one just because. … I get more from the kids doing it than myself these days.
    With a full freezer I'm kinda in the same place.
    Please please let there be pigs.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll be getting my brush hog on. If it’s cool enough in the evening I may jump in one of my tripods. If not, there’s cold beer and something to grill at camp. Mostly going to be a work weekend. I usually don’t get to enthused until we get a front that lasts more than 12 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        Due to the bad drought out west, even with protein feeding, it looks like its going to be a "take out the trash and some doe mouths" year letting some of the deer we have that are down go another year. Since I usually let my buddies' kids shoot my mgmt deer and does, I may not even trip a string this year on a deer (pigs watch out though). I'm not real excited about the killing because of this but I am excited about getting out in the woods to watch, being in deer camp and being a solid camp *****..
        Some of my best hill country hunts were in drought years. The deer were standing on the feed pen fence just waiting for that ***** to spin! Don’t write it off just yet! Longhorns? Who knows

Comment

Meh…same as every year. Hard for me to get excited with early season. Now come November,me and the state of Kansas are gonna be good buddies!

Comment

There are only so many opening days in a lifetime. Every one you pass on is one you will never make up.

Kill or no kill. It is still opening day

Comment

I’m not hunting for a couple weeks at least. So hot I have no desire to even practice much less sit in a tree.

Comment

Bucks took a hit where I hunt (NW hill country). Lots of bucks I've been following for a few years really took a hit from the drought and tines are pencil thin and beams lack the mass they should. Body weight isn't where it should be either. Numbers have been good at the protein feeders though but that hasn't been enough. Our biologist wants us to pass on most of these bucks and take out does and hogs, which is fine by me. Love this time of year and hoping something good pops out of the woods come rut.

Comment

Hogs and coyotes still thriving where Im at, unfortunately

Comment

I am, kinda. I’ll be at the Penn State game this weekend so it will be several weeks till I can hunt. Like others, this heat takes some of the fun out of it

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                      There are only so many opening days in a lifetime. Every one you pass on is one you will never make up.

Kill or no kill. It is still opening day
                      This right here. The deer don't care if the weather isn't perfect

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Being a shift worker for 25 years I missed a lot of openers. Now that I am in a day position I plan on changing that.

Comment

I have no idea what animals may or may not show up. But i intend to be in a tripod on Saturday morning. If for no other reason than to experience a quiet sunrise and watch one little slice of the world wake up. I've just got to get out of town.

I've been practicing. Tonight my second group of arrows knocked my target over. So i challenged my self to hit the open part of the 'p'. I'll take it. Let the games begin.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I’m leaving Wednesday for my place in NW Oklahoma, and to be honest, I’m not really excited. I’ve got 3 cell cams running and only one buck that I might think about shooting. I’m hoping there might be something on one of the four non cell cams, but I won’t know that until I get there.
                            The heat definitely isn’t helping my excitement, because I hate sweating and swatting mosquitoes in a deer stand.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              I hunt behind the house

1) I have not seen anything on camera that excites me
                              2) The weather is still warm

But I will be sitting in a tree next Saturday morning about 45min before legal light. Probably have the thermacell running too

Once it starts cooling off I will be more interested, plus when the rut starts you get the wildcards showing up

In the meantime, pigs beware
                              This is me too!

Comment

I hate missing opening weekend, and will e sitting in one of my bow stands Saturday morning. Only one for sure shooter on camera so far, but he’s a beast. Will probably try for a doe if I get the chance, my son is staying home with mama this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X