No announcement yet.

Who else is ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be skipping the opener as Texas has a home football game. Yall guys have fun in deer camp.

Comment

I'm not going until the high temps are are 80* or less. Y'all get ya some!

Comment

I’m ready but I’ve only seen 1 shooter buck and that’s only because he has 1 unbranched antler. Does are starting to warm up so I may get a better shooter in range. Never the less I’ll be in the ground blind watching plenty of deer. If the opportunity arises I will be killing not harvesting lol.

Comment

Too hot for me. Usually November first. On a side note... I don't get the "just picked up my bow" crowd. I thoroughly enjoy shooting year round.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m ready to shoot a few does with my recurve.

Don’t know if I’ll get a buck this year or not, but I’m gonna out down some does.

Comment

Ill be sitting in my tripod, next Saturday morning, not super hopeful and cant do anything about the weather, but at least I'm there. The two good shooter bucks are mostly nocturnal, but I have lots of pigs to sling arrows at.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                Too hot for me. Usually November first. On a side note... I don't get the "just picked up my bow" crowd. I thoroughly enjoy shooting year round.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                Every time I go out to hunt, I just picked up my bow to head out
                I get what you are saying
                I’m not a big shooter in terms of slinging lots of arrows frequently as I loosen up more & more my shot can tend to vary

I try my best to simulate hunting so I shoot one arrow cold & then follow with another just to make sure I’m consistent
                Then I’ll put bow down & try again later (not days later but either a couple of hours or next day)
                I also practice shooting from elevated position & on a 3D deer target.
                I also move the target facing different directions & at different angles to add some variation to the shot relative to deer target distance, standing position & angle to practice different shots

Comment

I'm ready to rock and roll. Haven't been able to find where I put my range finder but I know all the distances to the feeders and pens so should be able to get by if I still can't find it by opener.

Comment

I'm not quite ready in several ways. I just picked up my longbow again after a six month layoff. That's by far the longest I've gone without shooting since switching to trad - I've shot several times a weeks for 10 years. It will take me a while to get dialed in enough to be confident shooting at deer. I'm also not getting excited due to lack of targets, and the heat. I'm sure I'll get my motivation back at some point, if nothing else just to go out and spend some cool weekends in the country and who knows, maybe some deer will show up

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Due to the bad drought out west, even with protein feeding, it looks like its going to be a "take out the trash and some doe mouths" year letting some of the deer we have that are down go another year. Since I usually let my buddies' kids shoot my mgmt deer and does, I may not even trip a string this year on a deer (pigs watch out though). I'm not real excited about the killing because of this but I am excited about getting out in the woods to watch, being in deer camp and being a solid camp *****..
                      Jason the Killa has a 160+ coming in every day. I bet he would let you come hunt that deer being that conditions have been rough for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        Jason the Killa has a 160+ coming in every day. I bet he would let you come hunt that deer being that conditions have been rough for ya.

I’m afraid what the payback may be if he lets me watch them with him. [emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Who else is ready

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          Take up the single string. It puts you back into that any deer is your trophy mode.
                          I got so sick of the horns chasing game and always something between me and that unobtainable "trophy buck".
                          I shot a doe last night and I had buck fever like a kid. In Africa I was shaking like a leaf.
                          If only the bone is the meaning of your satisfaction in the hunt okay. But doing it the harder way can change that for you.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Good idea for some…. But if I see an old mature mgmt deer, I will
                          pursue him with the vengeance of any trophy on our place even with a compound. If I draw on anything the buckfever kicks in like the first time…. Buck, doe pig or turkey. I’m just not seeing anything right now that trips my trigger and I’d much rather see some kids get their first or best buck than me shoot one just because. … I get more from the kids doing it than myself these days.
                          Last edited by Smart; 09-23-2022, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I have no idea whats around. Finally gonna drop some corn in the barrels this weekend and may put some cams out. Not super excited about sitting in the tree or blind when its 90.

Once kiddo comes home for break I'll be up there often

Comment

Starting back after about a )7 year layoff. Got a new bow I’m really excited about. Got an invite yesterday to bow hunt where I usually gun hunt. I won’t get to hunt til the third week of October but this place isn’t leased and I will be the only bow hunter.

Comment

I'm getting some regular customers at my feeder but no antlers so far. I still have some venison from last year so not sure if I'll shoot a doe right off the bat.

Comment

Working...
                                X