Who else is ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who else is ready

7 days from now I will be headed to camp to get one more nights rest before the opener. I have not been so ready to get out in the woods with my bow in a long time. I have two good shooter bucks, problem is they are still coming in at night most of the time. A couple times a week they come in during daylight. I think with the cooler temps next week I may see them in the day light. That last little cool spell we had they seemed to come in before dark. I have three spots that pretty much surround their bedding and sanctuary area in which nobody ever goes or walks and I can hunt one of three stands on any wind and have fantastic access routes into each. Tomorrow I will go out around lunch and put more rice bran and alfalfa out and then I will stay out of the area all together until I sneak into one of the spots opening morning. I am hoping pigs dont break into my feed pen between now and then, They did two days ago and I had to go fix it. They have been horrible this year.

I hunt behind the house

1) I have not seen anything on camera that excites me
    2) The weather is still warm

But I will be sitting in a tree next Saturday morning about 45min before legal light. Probably have the thermacell running too

Once it starts cooling off I will be more interested, plus when the rut starts you get the wildcards showing up

In the meantime, pigs beware

Comment

I have no where to go this year, may give public land ago since i cant find a lease that fits.
      Good Luck Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
        I hunt behind the house

1) I have not seen anything on camera that excites me
        2) The weather is still warm

But I will be sitting in a tree next Saturday morning about 45min before legal light. Probably have the thermacell running too

Once it starts cooling off I will be more interested, plus when the rut starts you get the wildcards showing up

In the meantime, pigs beware
        Sounds like me
        I’ll be hunting my place here in Cherokee county
        Got a bow hunting spot & rifle stand set
        Not much on camera worthy of receiving an arrow
        Too warm & dry
        Hoping for rain to get a couple of food plots in but not looking promising for October plant
        Good luck to all

Comment

Due to the bad drought out west, even with protein feeding, it looks like its going to be a "take out the trash and some doe mouths" year letting some of the deer we have that are down go another year. Since I usually let my buddies' kids shoot my mgmt deer and does, I may not even trip a string this year on a deer (pigs watch out though). I'm not real excited about the killing because of this but I am excited about getting out in the woods to watch, being in deer camp and being a solid camp *****..

Comment

I’m excited about season but won’t start really hunting until around Thanksgiving. I’ll go maybe once or twice before that to shoot does and see if I can’t get my daughter on a management deer. Our deer are looking really good, even though we had a severe drought. We’ve had a bunch of rain in the last month or so, and it’s really greened up, deer aren’t moving much.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Due to the bad drought out west, even with protein feeding, it looks like its going to be a "take out the trash and some doe mouths" year letting some of the deer we have that are down go another year. Since I usually let my buddies' kids shoot my mgmt deer and does, I may not even trip a string this year on a deer (pigs watch out though). I'm not real excited about the killing because of this but I am excited about getting out in the woods to watch, being in deer camp and being a solid camp *****..
              Yes you Pigs better watch out for Smart. He will be out there once every 3 months. So be alert.

Comment

Who else is ready

I’m ready, but I don’t have many targets. Deer have been sporadic at my bow hunting place in DeWitt county and nothing that trips my trigger anyway. Val Verde county you never know what might show up there. Regardless, I’ll be in my little bow box before sunrise in DeWitt on Saturday and thankful to the Lord for the opportunities he provides and the breath in my lungs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Take up the single string. It puts you back into that any deer is your trophy mode.
                  I got so sick of the horns chasing game and always something between me and that unobtainable "trophy buck".
                  I shot a doe last night and I had buck fever like a kid. In Africa I was shaking like a leaf.
                  If only the bone is the meaning of your satisfaction in the hunt okay. But doing it the harder way can change that for you.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

I am definitely having mixed emotions about being ready
                    ^^^ like smart we got hammered with drought, and everything is hurting except the raccoons, who have kept tearing up stuff , bow season is over for me due to a hernia and then a torn muscle in my neck, one day of rain labor day ruined dove hunting
                    Being in camp , friendly banter and adult beverages, I am definitely ready

Comment

We went down Tuesday and filled the feeder and set up my son's popup. I'll be sitting unarmed in his tower blind to watch the show. Son made the statement that if its still roasting hot he was only going to hunt mornings..

Comment

In our case the work begins and it almost becomes a job with 75 doe tags to fill on MLDP

But with the price of meat, it is time to fill the freezers

Comment

I just picked up my bow again last weekend. I won't go to my OK lease until late Oct. 2 years ago it was freezing and snowing and last year on the same weekend it was 95 and windy. Hoping the weather cooperates because I can only go when I can so just have to deal with whatever it is. Good luck to you boys hunting in your undies with the thermacells on full blast.

Comment

It’s interesting to read the different experiences related to drought & it’s impact
                            I’ve hunted East Tx my whole life and back in 2011 drought that season I had the most deer (including bucks) I’ve ever seen at my feeder
                            At one point up to 7 different bucks feeding off & on which is not normal
                            Most years I might see 3 different bucks feeding off & on
                            It was so dry & every thing dead they had limited food source
                            Even missed an opportunity to take my biggest bow buck
                            Hadn’t been that good since
                            We’ve had more rain that many parts of the state this year. We are moderate dry so it will be interesting to see how this season plays out

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                              It’s interesting to read the different experiences related to drought & it’s impact
                              I’ve hunted East Tx my whole life and back in 2011 drought that season I had the most deer (including bucks) I’ve ever seen at my feeder
                              At one point up to 7 different bucks feeding off & on which is not normal
                              Most years I might see 3 different bucks feeding off & on
                              It was so dry & every thing dead they had limited food source
                              Even missed an opportunity to take my biggest bow buck
                              Hadn’t been that good since
                              We’ve had more rain that many parts of the state this year. We are moderate dry so it will be interesting to see how this season plays out

Here in Polk County we had a great year despite the drought. This spring was green and it didnt dry up till late in the antler growing season and even then it was just moist enough do some good. Then we got rain a few weeks ago to green stuff back up. I feel East Texas will have a tremendous season

Comment

Working...
                              X