No announcement yet.

10th Annual Panhandle Hunting Thread - 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rancher reported 1.4" last night this morning in Briscoe county. Fingers crossed much more to come over the next week.

Comment

Not the best fawn crop but we have a some. Looks like the Mule deer did better than the WT. Our neighbors have slowed way down on feeding and I don't think anyone around me is feeding protein so lots of deer now. I lost the lease next to the one I have which was a bummer but I think they will take good care of it. They bought it for a recreational ranch.
      All the work, feed and money on the Quail is paying off this year.

Comment

Glad to see this thread up and running again! I've been a reader for a few years and finally created an account a little over a year ago. I hunt on the Hall-Childress co. line with a spot in each. Like mentioned above, the mule deer have all but disappeared on my place. Hoping some rain and crop growth bring them back in. I did take a pretty decent mulie last year I'm hoping to get back from the taxidermist shortly.

I've been feeding corn only year round and definitely have *some* deer at the moment. Not anything like this time last year though. I do suppose what's hanging around starting around the first of October is the important thing however. Just wanted to wish everyone great luck this season and looking forward to following this thread throughout the season!

Also wanted to mention, in case anyone is actively looking for a place, the landowner I hunt with has another property currently available and he is looking for an interested group or person to lease to. I put a little longer description and info over on the "2022-2023 Available Leases" thread.

Good luck to everyone and I hope to see some awesome success pics as the year rolls along!

Comment

Hoping conditions improve. I was drawn for the archery whitetail hunt at Matador WMA.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
            We lost our lease in Shamrock this year. I had to leave Fort Hood at 1600 and drive all the way up to retrieve my box blind, feeder, and cameras, and then immediately turn around for the long drive home. Got home at 0345. I am going to miss it
            Dang, sir. That's rough. Hope you're able to get on a place this season.

Originally posted by myway View Post
            Rancher reported 1.4" last night this morning in Briscoe county. Fingers crossed much more to come over the next week.
            I checked the cam this morning and it looked like we got some rain overnight.

Originally posted by Thunder Gun View Post
            Glad to see this thread up and running again! I've been a reader for a few years and finally created an account a little over a year ago. I hunt on the Hall-Childress co. line with a spot in each. Like mentioned above, the mule deer have all but disappeared on my place. Hoping some rain and crop growth bring them back in. I did take a pretty decent mulie last year I'm hoping to get back from the taxidermist shortly.

I've been feeding corn only year round and definitely have *some* deer at the moment. Not anything like this time last year though. I do suppose what's hanging around starting around the first of October is the important thing however. Just wanted to wish everyone great luck this season and looking forward to following this thread throughout the season!

Also wanted to mention, in case anyone is actively looking for a place, the landowner I hunt with has another property currently available and he is looking for an interested group or person to lease to. I put a little longer description and info over on the "2022-2023 Available Leases" thread.

Good luck to everyone and I hope to see some awesome success pics as the year rolls along!
            Welcome!

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
            Hoping conditions improve. I was drawn for the archery whitetail hunt at Matador WMA.
            Best of luck, sir!

Comment

I also had soaked fields this morning on camera, come on rain!!

Comment

No fawn crop for us in Spur, and bucks are not impressive at all and everything was dry...hopefully today's rain spruces things up. I think we decided as a group to not hunt bucks this year and feed protein instead of hunting. We've never fed protein before, but don't want to lose half our deer like we did 6 or 7 years ago.

Comment

I’m in. Just closed on a place in Hall Co. hoping for potential…

Comment

I retired this past February, and I'm aiming to hunt with my recurve. Just gotta keep working on my form and tighten that group in the next 6 weeks.

I love this thread every year. Thanks for being a leader, Kry.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
                      You dawg! Good luck, it's an awesome place to hunt.

Comment

Not looking very promising so far at my lease in Motley

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                          I retired this past February, and I'm aiming to hunt with my recurve. Just gotta keep working on my form and tighten that group in the next 6 weeks.

I love this thread every year. Thanks for being a leader, Kry.
                          Yes, sir! Best of luck with that recurve!

Comment

Was up doing work this weekend and did some nighttime pig hunting as well. Cotton crops are starting to grow around our place. Saw more mule deer standing in those fields in the middle of the afternoon than I've seen in person or on camera in the last several months. That has me encouraged. There were a couple of nice bucks as well. Wish I would have gotten better glass on those guys.

Was able to set a new stand in a field we hunt just before the first round of good rain Saturday. My buddy took a particular problem hog from it later that night. Biggest pig either of us has probably ever shot and that thing was wildly destructive!!

Comment

Always enjoy following this thread.

Rwc

Comment

First round of camera pics in this week. Deer and everything else look like they haven’t had significant water in 10 months. Horns are definitely down this year. Pigs are back in force. I just stocked the bow bag with Walmart clearance broadheads in anticipation of lots of pig shooting. We did finally get 1.1 inches of rain yesterday. Timing is bad but rain is always good.

Comment

Working...
                                X