Nikon shooters - Lens Wish List?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikon shooters - Lens Wish List?

I have accumulated several lenses over the last five years or so and am now thinking I need two or three more. Here is what I have so far:

14-24mm f2.8
    24-70mm f2.8
    50mm f1.4G
    28-300mm f3.5-5.6

Next purchase will be the 70-200mm f2.8, I've bene wanting this lens for a long time, really looking forward to getting this.

I'm trying to decide which lens to get beyond this. Wildlife photography, birds, deer, etc.

I've spent some time looking and am leaning towards the 300mm f2.8. I would like to stay with the largest aperture possible for low light conditions, first light/late evenings. I can make one big purchase per year, I realize the cost of this lens is pretty high, but I'm wondering if I need it or should go with another lens like the 80-400mm f4.5-5.6?

I plan to rent a few lenses and try them out and see which I like, but was hoping for some feedback from some of you that may already be shooting these larger telephoto lenses.

I'm shooting with a D810 body.

Thanks for any feed back, I appreciate it.

I love my Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 with the 400mm teleconverter on my D750. It and my Sigma 50mm 1.4 are my 'go to' lenses.
    Last edited by TexasLibra; 12-27-2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I have the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 and I can't recommend that one enough! Haven't shot with the Nikon version to compare though.

Comment

You will be pretty well covered once you have the 70-200 f/2.8 in your hands.

Just get a teleconverter

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I just pulled the trigger on the 70-200 f2.8, (I seriously have zero self control) looking forward to using it when I get home.

Comment

I'd add a 60mm or 105mm Nikon Macro to the mix for close up shots. Pretty inexpensive. I have an older manual focus 105. Use live view, and zoom in for focus. Of course, usually on a tripod. The 70-200 VR II is pretty sweet. Unless you shoot pro sports, not sure that the II version is worth it. Not sure if they still make the I.

Comment

I also have a Tamron 70-200 2.8 and love it. Specs were same as the Nikon and over $1K cheaper than the Nikon.

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
                I'd add a 60mm or 105mm Nikon Macro to the mix for close up shots. Pretty inexpensive. I have an older manual focus 105. Use live view, and zoom in for focus. Of course, usually on a tripod. The 70-200 VR II is pretty sweet. Unless you shoot pro sports, not sure that the II version is worth it. Not sure if they still make the I.
                Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into those.

Comment

Working...
                X