No announcement yet.

Turkey Dekes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s a great example of how the DSDs Jake hold gobblers in a hunt this past weekend. With permission from ClayW I’m posting his nephew’s hunt... This is the mating jake and not the 3/4 strut but they do the same.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LniVeKAI2VM"]South Texas Youth Turkey Hunt - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by Smart; 03-11-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I picked up a pair of the Avian X Rio's a few years ago for $79 and have been real impressed with them. Shot plenty over cheap foam decoys as well but they'll come running to beat down that jake decoy! Little man and I were in the popup one morning and had one coming in gobbling and I looked down and had forgot to put the decoy out! I stuck it out the front window about 3' from the blind and little man nearly decapitated the turkey as it was working the decoy over between the blind and the decoy!

Comment

Helluva price on the Dakota pair on Amazon.

Dakota Decoy Turkey Decoy Breeder Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXXK4A8..._ua-HCbCCVT2EG

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Here’s a great example of how the DSDs Jake hold gobblers in a hunt this past weekend. With permission from ClayW I’m posting his nephew’s hunt... This is the mating jake and not the 3/4 strut but they do the same.

South Texas Youth Turkey Hunt - YouTube

good stuff

Comment

South Texas Youth Turkey Hunt - YouTube
            Ya'll know I'm biased but I'll point out something that shows the quality of the material used in the DSDs.

If you watched this video, you'll notice the jake decoy took a heavy hit from the 7 1/2 shot at less than 15 yards. All other decoys mentioned on this thread would be in the trash after that.

I'll go grab a photo of the decoy to show the "damage" is almost non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
              Been turkey hunting my whole life.

I have a question. Why do you want Avian X over regular ol feather flex type cheap decoys? I price checked these and almost hit the floor. My god they are expensive.

I’ve been turkey hunting my whole life and have used cheap decoys the whole time. They’ve never failed me even after I blasted a decoy with number 4s. The turkeys haven’t gotten smarter over the years.
              Because I've hunted over the cheapees, DSD, and Avian X; and there's no comparison in effectiveness. I like the DSD's best, but Avian X are pretty darn good for about half the price. Since I've gone to the better decoys, most of the gobblers who've seen my jake deeks have attacked them. That never happened with the cheep ones.

Comment

Y'all are killing me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What do y'all think Full Strut or 3/4 strut jake?

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterCogburn View Post
                    I use the 3/4 jake. In watching a whole heck of a lot of videos of people using full or 3/4, there are far more gobblers avoiding the full strut than the 3/4.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterCogburn View Post

If you are just buying one jake, for all around usage and versatility I was told the 3/4 jake... and that's what I have used the last few seasons.

You can set him by himself, with a standup hen, with a group of hens, behind a submissive hen about ready to be bred.....you name it. Face him to you because the Tom will face him up and put his arse to you. It lets you draw or get your gun into position if needed.

Last edited by Smart; 03-12-2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Helluva price on the Dakota pair on Amazon.

Dakota Decoy Turkey Decoy Breeder Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXXK4A8..._ua-HCbCCVT2EG
                        Anyone have some I can rent for a weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                          Anyone have some I can rent for a weekend?

Just go dig in your trash cans for a couple hundred dollar bills you wiped the sweat on your forehead with Daddy Warbucks..

Comment

Y’all must be hunting smarter turkeys than me. I’ve had toms attack my feather flex decoys too.

Comment

I know you probably want them now but if you can wait you might can save a bunch of money on them. I paid $35 for the avian x hens and 50 for the jake after season last year. Midway put them on sale.

Comment

DSD are the best. Started with a Jake and worked from there. ClayW talked me into them.

Comment

Working...
                                X