Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Dekes

Hey guys and gals,

I am needing new Turkey Decoys. I am looking at Avian X. has anybody used them?
    If not what are yall using and how well do they work?

Looking at Jake and Hen combo.

Gracias amigos,

RW

Been turkey hunting my whole life.

I have a question. Why do you want Avian X over regular ol feather flex type cheap decoys? I price checked these and almost hit the floor. My god they are expensive.

I’ve been turkey hunting my whole life and have used cheap decoys the whole time. They’ve never failed me even after I blasted a decoy with number 4s. The turkeys haven’t gotten smarter over the years.

Comment

they looked very real to me when i checked them out. way more so than the old ones i am using now. Gear gets better over time. they did not have any like this when i bought my last ones.

Comment

I have Avian X, and have had a lot of success with them. Success with them when other guys on the lease had trouble on the same weekend. I think the posturing is done very well. Of course the paint is fantastic. Will the simple foam dekes work? Yes. But when you have those days when the birds are less aggressive, or want to hang up just out of range, the better looking dekes can be an advantage. I will say, if I had the $$$ to burn, I would have couple of Dave Smith Decoys. They are the most realistic decoy short of actual taxidermy.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
          Been turkey hunting my whole life.

I have a question. Why do you want Avian X over regular ol feather flex type cheap decoys? I price checked these and almost hit the floor. My god they are expensive.

I’ve been turkey hunting my whole life and have used cheap decoys the whole time. They’ve never failed me even after I blasted a decoy with number 4s. The turkeys haven’t gotten smarter over the years.
          Gotta agree Here I don’t by the cheapest dekes because the foam will get hard to puff out and end up getting seams in them and paint flakes off easily. But I will not break the bank on decoys.

Comment

I have used cheap dekes and I have used Dakotas and DSDs.....the birds reaction and how long they will stick around with them is no comparison. After the last few seasons hunting over good dekes, I will never go back to foam or crappy decoys if I want them to come in close. I'd rather carry a single quality 3/4 strut jake or a hen over my shoulder in their carrying case than fold up a crappy deke in my vest. To me they are another valuable tool in what we do and are worth a one time purchase that will last for years!.

If I am going to shoot them at 75 yards with a rifle or shotgun then hell it doesn't matter. If I want them in close then I think it can make a difference in success.

I would list them in order of quality and looks........... and would hunt over any of them. The Dakotas are a great mid price decoy on Amazon. I really like the jake's position like the DSDs.

DSDs
            Dakotas
            AvianX

Never had a Tom do this before for this length of time... until I was walking back after just killing one with my bow over them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOwg5EWthKY&t=118s"]Texas Tom beats up Dakota jake decoy - YouTube[/ame]
            Last edited by Smart; 03-11-2019, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Decoys are like coolers. Sure, a Coleman can get the job done but you can by quality once and have a lifetime of enjoyment.

I have killed a lot of birds using a turkey fan to bring them in and would rather carry it than any decoy

Comment

I’ve had a lot of success over the last 3 seasons with this year one

Got it on sale for like $35.

Here’s some video from last season with hens interacting with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. Just bought a pair of Dakotas..............

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    I have used cheap dekes and I have used Dakotas and DSDs.....the birds reaction and how long they will stick around with them is no comparison. After the last few seasons hunting over good dekes, I will never go back to foam or crappy decoys if I want them to come in close. I'd rather carry a single quality 3/4 strut jake or a hen over my shoulder in their carrying case than fold up a crappy deke in my vest. To me they are another valuable tool in what we do and are worth a one time purchase that will last for years!.

If I am going to shoot them at 75 yards with a rifle or shotgun then hell it doesn't matter. If I want them in close then I think it can make a difference in success.

I would list them in order of quality and looks........... and would hunt over any of them. The Dakotas are a great mid price decoy on Amazon. I really like the jake's position like the DSDs.

DSDs
                    Dakotas
                    AvianX

Never had a Tom do this before for this length of time... until I was walking back after just killing one with my bow over them.

Texas Tom beats up Dakota jake decoy - YouTube
                    Thanks man going to check out the others as well!

Comment

I really like the new Flextone Thunder Chick series decoys. Look good, birds seem to like them too. Still use the B-mobile for my gobbler. I also got the new remote control swivel stake they have out now. Looks like it should be pretty cool

Comment

[QUOTE=Hawkpuppy 1;14041715]I really like the new Flextone Thunder Chick series decoys. Look good, birds seem to like them too.

Been using this one the last few years with success also

Comment

DSD are as good as it gets! I used to run the cheap foamies as well. Yes they all work...to an extent. I’ve never seen gobblers lock in on a deke like they do the DSD’s! Every experience I have had(and I hunt turkeys A LOT) has been money! They just seem mesmorized my the dang things! And hey.....if we can convince Smart’s tight *** to get some....then that should be the best selling point known to man....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                            DSD are as good as it gets! I used to run the cheap foamies as well. Yes they all work...to an extent. I’ve never seen gobblers lock in on a deke like they do the DSD’s! Every experience I have had(and I hunt turkeys A LOT) has been money! They just seem mesmorized my the dang things! And hey.....if we can convince Smart’s tight *** to get some....then that should be the best selling point known to man....lol

LMFAO!!! I spend a lot of money on hunting but did not think expensive turkey decoys were worth the added cost much like a bunch of folks here.... I can certainly admit Clay and you showed me the light there..
                            Last edited by Smart; 03-11-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

DSD for me

Comment

Working...
                              X