No announcement yet.

Big Bore Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As others have stated don't use a lead sled. I've personally seen a stock break at the grip on a 7 mag. This was a beautiful high grade stock too not a cheap savage wood stock.

Comment

Put a brake on it.

Comment

Originally posted by tgridley View Post
        Put a brake on it.
        To loud, I am not a fan of muzzle breaks , nearly blew my eardrums out killing nilgai with a break , so loud earplugs and phones are useless, I don’t think PH’s in Africa let hunters use them ?

Comment

I've always been a fan of them big loudenboomers. At age 75 I am now starting to appreciate muzzlebrakes. My shoulder ain't what it used to be and my hearing has been gone for a long time so the noise don't bother me none. She chews me out and cusses me all day long and I just nod and smile. I can still go 20 to 30 rounds on the bench with the 300WSM and 7WSM but I have a brake on the 338 WSM. My 308's and 6.5 and all the AR's don't bother me none at all. I prefer them without the brake screwed on as it helps accuracy.
          I do use good Walker digital ear muffs to deal with the concussion. These Walkers are especially good on indoor pistol ranges shooting the ported .41 mag
          Last edited by muzzlebrake; 10-14-2021, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I've been known to put small sandbags between my shoulder and the stock. As well as wear a PAST recoil pad. And sometimes a short thick winter jacket too.

Comment

Obviously you understand that sitting upright as much as possible helps, so the standing bench rest makes sense to me too.

How about clamped into a tripod?
              You may not be interested in putting Arca rails on your rifles, but I think shooting off a tripod may help. I just sent off my 375 H&H to be completely worked over, and I'm putting an Arca rail on the new stock. I have only had my nice RRS tripod a short while, but I can keep an honest 1 minute group while sitting with a 308 and a 6.5CM. I've never done it with a 375, but planning to try.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                Build a shooting bench that you can use standing up. Makes a world of difference.
                This is how the professional double rifle builders regulate the barrels so that they both shoot to point of aim at the 50/60 yard mark. It takes lots of shots unless they get really lucky.

Comment

The main point is to not be leaning into the gun. Stand as erect as possible and roll with the recoil.

Comment

I appreciate it guys, I’m going to do some experimenting this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                    X