No announcement yet.

Tell me about Over/under shotguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t overlook the Savage and Mossberg O/Us for a pretty nice mid-range shotgun. My buddy shoots a Savage, pretty nice gun for $600 or so. The Mossberg Gold Reserve is getting good reviews at $1,000 or less but I have no idea how they fit. You just have to go pick up one and see how it fits you.

Comment

I was looking for the same thing.

I went with a Weatherby O/U. Cost me $850 for 12 guage 28" barrel. Nice gun with ejectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
        I’ll try to be more manly. You must own one of these pieces of crap. Lol
        Man up was in jest, but yes, I own one of those "pieces of crap" and it shoots just as good as any gun in that price range. Unless you're recoil sensitive, it ain't the mule kicker you make it out to be. For reference, the Stevens and the Tristar are both also 7lb guns. I guess you only shoot 10lb Purdeys and Kreighoffs though, and a 3.5" Benelli is a piece of crap because it thumps a little right? LOL
        Last edited by jdg13; 09-28-2021, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Don’t buy a $400 Yildiz

The Thumper.....

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
            Lol!!

CZ makes a decent sub $1k gun. Otherwise keep your eye on the classifieds.
            I bought the CZ after great reviews. Would not fire the second shell if top barrel first was selected. Had to ship it to CZ and they made it right but disappointing and inconvenient. That said, I've shot hundreds of rounds through it since and really like it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
              Man up was in jest, but yes, I own one of those "pieces of crap" and it shoots just as good as any gun in that price range. Unless you're recoil sensitive, it ain't the mule kicker you make it out to be. For reference, the Stevens and the Tristar are both also 7lb guns. I guess you only shoot 10lb Purdeys and Kreighoffs though, and a 3.5" Benelli is a piece of crap because it thumps a little right? LOL

Shouldn’t have to add crap to a gun out of the box to make it tolerable to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He owned one for 4 years. He probably has a good idea....I've seen the bruises after shooting light dove loads....

Comment

i have a steel frame yildez with the limbsaver. I only dove hunt a few times a year and pheasant hunt for about 3 days. I like mine

Comment

I guess I am “recoil sensitive!”

…and get in a hurry and hold shotgun a little low to the arm when a big group comes thru.

Shot fine. Kicks like mule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                      Shouldn’t have to add crap to a gun out of the box to make it tolerable to shoot.

The original SBE says heeeyyyyyyyyyyyy

Comment

^^^Yikes!

I enjoyed my Franci Alcione at about $1100 but I like my Browning Lightning Citori more but Tack on another $500 at least.

Comment

I guess I am “recoil sensitive!”

…and get in a hurry and hold shotgun a little low to the arm when a big group comes thru.

OP, see exhibit A as to why a shotgun needs to fit and proper form is important. I popped a round off on my arm like that once, it'll wake you up, and teach you to mount properly.
                          Last edited by jdg13; 09-28-2021, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Worse yet is an ounce and a half 3.5" magnum turkey load hunched over the gun off a bench.

Comment

I cant wait to show my wife who shot a 20ga yildiz for years and never managed to do that the picture. And in my small knowledge of shotguns, and shooting 2-3 flats a month till this year. A poor mount is the reason for that bruise and even a $20,000.00 properly fitted gun would have done the same when you mount on your arm and not in the pocket.

The Indian and not the arrow comes to mind

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                                Would like to keep it under $1,000

A CLEAN USED gun is the way to go for what you want.

If you have an outfit that handles a lot of used guns, I would go fondle some Browning Citori's & Ruger red labels, along with any other's they have in that price window...like stated, the key is to find what fits you & that will take a lot of the kick out.

I'm a big beretta fan, but the 686 / 687 family field guns knock the snot out of 'me'...their sporting guns rock, but not in your budget.

Just consider the model & price window (even if a little high @ retail)...once you find something that's gonna work, then shop & compare pricing of the same rigs. Don't be fooled, a $900 gun online could be asking $1200 on the shelf. Look, fondle, then buy.

Comment

Working...
                                X