Limpopo South Africa Part 2,the Sable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limpopo South Africa Part 2,the Sable.

The next animal on my list was a Sable. I had never seen one while hunting over the previous 3 times with Harry. The only live Sables I saw were in a breeding facility at a place called Shelanti. I knew thne i wanted one, but never had the chance and they are not the cheapest animal over ther by any means. We had seen quiet a few driving to different water holes, but none cooperated when we were sitting. Garry and I settled into the blind at a very nice water hole and began the long wait hoping for a Sable. Since I had 2 different sights and 2 different arrow set ups, Garry requested that I switch to my 775 grain Caped arrows and sight. He said if you are sitting here with your normal whiteail Plains game arrows and set up and a big Cape walks in, YOU ARE NOT SHOOTING! He had a point as you never know what is going to show up at a water hole. I switched so her I sit wainting for a Cape or a Sable, hoping either shows, I am ready. About 10:30 or 11:00 a Sable walks in from our left to the water. To me he looks like a giant, but I have never been that close to one and had no idea if he was average, below average or a shooter. I had failed to put my release on before he walked in and as I was trying to put my release on I looked at Garry and shrugged my shoulders to silently ask, is he a shooter. Garry replied with a so so had movement. I settled back into my chair and then decide to stand up and take a picture of him threw the shooting window. I got the picture taken without spooking him and sat back down to admire such a beautiful big animal. After about 10 to 15 minutes Garry ask if I was calm, I said YES and he said shot him!!!!!!! Garry told me later that he heard my breathing escalate and I was having a little bit of trouble getting my release strapped on. He did the soso act to try and let me clam down. At that point I was calm and stood up and got my bow off the hook. I took a few deep breathes and decided now was the time. The sable was about 15 to 18 yards and I settled the V of the sight behind the right leg as he was quartering away a little. I saw the arrow enter and disappear where I thought it should be. He took off in a looping run away from us and disappeared in the thick brush. Garry rewound the video and looked and said it was a hair back, but still a good shot. We looked through our bnos where he disappeared in the brush but could not see anything. We waited a ittle longer and got out of the blind and founds his tracks and some blood. A few feet further was my arrow covered in blood, a good sign. At that time Garry said there are very few bowhunters that shoot completely through a mature Sable with their thick hide. Mine was almost a pass through but the 4 3" feathers were what held mine up on the opposite side before the arrow fell out. We walked a few yards further up the trail and Garry said, there he is, about 100 yards from where he was when I shot him. He was still alive, but not able to get up. I got close to put a second shot in him and was shaking so bad I missed him completely at 12 yards. My next shot was better as I hit him square in the shoulder. It sounded like a 30 06 slamming into him when the arrow hit. That arrow tipped with a 220 grain TuffHead went completely thru his shoulder blade and lodged in his spine. The Sable was now mine! When i tried to pull the second arrow out, the shaft come out but the TuffHead in insert were left in the spine! Garry got his truck we loaded him up in the bed then found a nice clear spot to unload him and take pictures and then reload him to take him back to camp and the processing area. I had 2 of my 3 animals down and still had 6 days to try and get a Cape Buffalo.

Part 3 tomorrow for a surprise animal the wife said she wanted! Limpopo South Africa Part 3, a Surprise animal!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0594.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	594.1 KB
ID:	25263262 The picture of the Sable with my phone when I had no idea I was going to shoot him.

Name:	IMG_3989.JPG
Size:	693.1 KB
ID:	25263263

Name:	IMG_4041.JPG
Size:	639.4 KB
ID:	25263264

beautiful animal, congrats.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Congratulations on a beautiful animal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

good stuff!!!

Comment

Thanks for sharing!! Beautiful animal.

Comment

Living the dream! Congrats on some amazing trophies!

Comment

Congratulations, that is a great looking animal

Comment

Awesome Sable! Congrats

Comment

Wow, that's a great looking animal.

Rwc

Comment

Amazing animal, Congrats!

Comment

Sable is definitely on my bucket list if I can get myself back over there!!!!

Great critter!

Congrats!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

beautiful Sable!

Comment

Living the dream!!! Congrats

Comment

Beautiful Sable! On our first trip in 2019, I surprised my wife with a Sable, which wasn't even on our hit list. As you might guess, she was overwhelmed at the thought of shooting one, but she made a great shot on what was her/our very first African animal, and it's now a floor pedestal mount in our living room.
                              Congratulations brother! Can't wait to read the recap on your Cape Buffalo.

Comment

Working...
                              X