Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucky333 View Post
    Hey! I’ve been doing well. I’m working in AK again doing 3 weeks on/3 weeks off. I hope you’re doing well and I hope you get drawn for this hunt. I could use some help. Ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice to hear you’re still working! Man I’m all in if I get drawn. I had my mind dead set on a bull this November .

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
      Whoooooohooooo!

Man I’ve had so much bad luck this year on elk and mule deer draws that I thought for sure I’d see “pending second draw” for this, but I managed to pull a tag for myself and 3 buddies for the last hunt of the calendar year (12/17-12/21). All you Pro’s that are going early- please don’t kill everything and try to save a couple nilgai for me! Never been this last in the year. I’m sure they will be wise to the pressure by then but maybe, just maybe, it will be a little cooler down there.

This will be my 3rd straight year on the archery hunt. Man I’m pumped to get back down there again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      See ya there...again.

Comment

What time do we need to be there for the mandatory orientation video that’s mentioned in the permit documents? I don’t see a time anywhere’s. I see where it mentions scouting the day before and hours the refuge will be open. Also I wasn’t provided the vehicle validation tag.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
          What time do we need to be there for the mandatory orientation video that’s mentioned in the permit documents? I don’t see a time anywhere’s. I see where it mentions scouting the day before and hours the refuge will be open. Also I wasn’t provided the vehicle validation tag.

I know that last year you just had to watch the video on your own. Pretty much just watch it and pay attention to the rules and regs of the refuge. In years past prior to Covid they would have everyone there at 9am to listen to the info from the wardens and park employees.

Comment

Thanks. I was curious if it changed with COVID. The group I hunt with went two years ago when everything was still in-person.

Comment

Well, just read through the 1200+ post thread from last year. Lots of good info in there. Looks like a lot of folks returning. Congrats!

Anyone know how the herd is doing after this past year’s crazy freeze??

Are most folks using tripods or pop-ups this year?

Comment

After drawing for four years straight, I’m out this year. Good luck to everyone that drew a permit!

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                  Well, just read through the 1200+ post thread from last year. Lots of good info in there. Looks like a lot of folks returning. Congrats!

Freeze killed alot of big trophy buck nilgai, but the younger bucks and does did fine. King ranch put a stop to hunting them through the spring and summer

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post

A buddy of mine owns a ranch bordering the refuge, I asked him about that after the freeze. He said it most definitely wiped out a lot of the older nilgai but a lot made it through just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurchy View Post
                      Freeze killed alot of big trophy buck nilgai, but the younger bucks and does did fine. King ranch put a stop to hunting them through the spring and summer

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
                      The deer made it fine down here and the only nilgai that succumbed to the freeze were the super old bulls that were worn down from post rut activity. I drive by LAWR all the time going to SPI and see Nilgai every time and some pretty large herds as well. A buddy of mine guides for the King and he was hunting them all the way up to April. I hunt the Kenedy and the Armstrong and haven't noticed any drop in numbers and are quotas are still high for this season.

Comment

What time of year do nilgai rut? I’ve always wondered that?

Comment

November to April but that depends on the area I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
                            What time of year do nilgai rut? I’ve always wondered that?

Specifically, you will see dominant bulls begin to herd cows in late December and through January. Best time to witness their fighting is in January. It's freaking awesome! This is why old bulls took it in the shorts during last year's freeze. They were super worn down post rut.

Comment

Got drawn for 2nd hunt 11/12-11/16, house rented, wife and her girlfriend are gonna Thelma & Louise the area while I hunt. Looking forward to it again, hope it is sub-90 degrees on the hunt days this time -- last year's hunt was brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
                                Got drawn for 2nd hunt 11/12-11/16, house rented, wife and her girlfriend are gonna Thelma & Louise the area while I hunt. Looking forward to it again, hope it is sub-90 degrees on the hunt days this time -- last year's hunt was brutal.

Indeed it was hot!

Comment

Working...
                                X