No announcement yet.

TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, I just saw a free beekeeping class for beginners on book of faces group "Beekeeping for beginners". https://www.facebook.com/groups/7525...1358128583123/

It is through Penn State

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      I have an important question, that has never occurred to me.

Is old comb bad for bees? I have some old comb from last years recovery that the bees got into. The bees seem to like it. It seems to be very clean, it has never shown any Wax Moths in it. It smells good.
      I've read that you should rotate out old black comb, if I remember right it's recommended to have all comb rotated out every 3rd year.

Comment

I will have to admit an increase in the amount of tomatoes started since the arrival of the bees . . I have noticed more bee activity in the flowers as well . . I like that . .

Comment

Picked up this swarm near Lockhart. They were on top of an umbrella over a picnic table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
            I will have to admit an increase in the amount of tomatoes started since the arrival of the bees . . I have noticed more bee activity in the flowers as well . . I like that . .
            Honey bees don't really polinate tomatoes well. Native bumble bees are what you need. Something physical regarding the bees.
            Last edited by El General; 05-05-2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
              Honey bees don't really polinate tomatoes well. Native bumble bees are what you need. Something physical regarding the bees.
              No shortage of bumblebees out here in the sticks . .

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
                No shortage of bumblebees out here in the sticks . .
                No, there shouldn't be. I have a pipeline right of way behind my house covered in various wildflowers and I haven't seen a bumble bee or honey bee yet in my back yard.

Comment

How close can you mow to the hives before suiting up?
                  How much wind is to much before opening the hive to feed?
                  I got my nucs installed a week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    Update on the Flowhive. It appears it is gonna work. The bees have taken to it and are depositing nectar in the cells, I think that was my doubt that it wouldn't work. Should have some honey very soon. I will make a vid and send it to someone to post.
                    Can't wait to see this!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dxtbowhunter View Post
                      I mow all around mine with my zero turn and weedeat around the yards within feet of my hives with no ppe and never have any problems. I have great docile genetics and know their mannerisms well though. I never pay too much attention to the wind, but windy days make bees sometimes irritable. If I was needing to feed I wouldn't let 15-25mph wind stop me.....

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                        I mow all around mine with my zero turn and weedeat around the yards within feet of my hives with no ppe and never have any problems. I have great docile genetics and know their mannerisms well though. I never pay too much attention to the wind, but windy days make bees sometimes irritable. If I was needing to feed I wouldn't let 15-25mph wind stop me.....
                        Thanks

Comment

I have some hives that I can mow close to and others that I moved where I don't need to mow.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wind when feeding but watch for robbing.

Comment

until you know how they will react to a mower or weed eater i would suit up

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
                              until you know how they will react to a mower or weed eater i would suit up
                              Good plan.

I'm going to remove a hive from and old dilapidated house on Thursday. The owner mowed too close and they attacked him and several of his neighbors. Even killed one of the neighbor's dogs across the street 75 yards away! It was a small dog that couldn't get out of the small fenced front yard. Some bees really dislike mowers!

Comment

Every hive is different. Most of mine have been calm as long as you don’t bump the box or throw debris on them. Had a few collisions with bees on their flight path by the hive, but can’t blame them for that. I bumped a box with push mower one time and they came unglued. Balled up on the handle, and the mower ran until out of gas since I tie the throttle lever. For the record, I ran and screamed like a little girl the whole time.

Comment

Working...
                                X