No announcement yet.

Texas surf shark fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not the surf but the nearshore shrimp boats have more spinners and blacktips than you could want. I drifted one shrimp boat and saw one spinner breach and within a minute of drifting out a ribbonfish I was tight. Just collected my line back and broke it off at the boat. Probably 80#-90# spinner. Could have probably sat and caught them until exhausted.

Comment

Originally posted by gpena View Post
      My schedule is changing to me having some more time off.... let’s go drew!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Going to try to get out there Aug 1 & 2.
      Come on!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
        Do yall attach your steel leader to your mono with a swivel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        This is a small version of the long line clip I mentioned earlier

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We are on Matagorda Beach just about every weekend during the summer. We have been catching tons of sharks. Mostly 2-3' blacktips and spinners, but happen to land one in the 4' range about every other trip. The kids love catching those sharks.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
            This is a small version of the long line clip I mentioned earlier

That is similar to what I use but I put a little bigger loop on the cable and don't use a swivel. I longline clip straight to the loop. I can also use multiple hooks for bigger baits like that. I use the swivel on the mono end that I tie to my mainline.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdawg View Post
              That is similar to what I use but I put a little bigger loop on the cable and don't use a swivel. I longline clip straight to the loop. I can also use multiple hooks for bigger baits like that. I use the swivel on the mono end that I tie to my mainline.
              I also use your method. This clips are used on my float lines and the swiveled cable is for a cast out rig.

Comment

I also use your method. This clips are used on my float lines and the swiveled cable is for a cast out rig.

I had to re do a bunch of my rigs due to the new hook regulations. lost out on several SS circle hooks and J hooks that I can't use anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdawg View Post
                  I had to re do a bunch of my rigs due to the new hook regulations. lost out on several SS circle hooks and J hooks that I can't use anymore.
                  Catchall made a ton of money after that regulation change. I've got a box full J's and SS offset Circles that I don't know what to do either...

Comment

Catchall made a ton of money after that regulation change. I've got a box full J's and SS offset Circles that I don't know what to do either...

Terrible Regulation IMO, It cost me a bunch of money too.

Comment

Shark fishing from shore is one of those hobbies I've always wanted to pursue. I'm already below average at so many other outdoor activities. Not sure I can add another

Comment

Some good information here.

https://www.tx-sharkfishing.com/

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                          Yes, however for any normal sharking from the beach I highly prefer straight 400lb or 550lb mono leader with circle hooks. Get a lot more bites like that and circle hooks very reliably hook into the corner of the mouth and don't need steel anyway.
                          Agreed 100%, except I run 700# mono... just a little more umph I suppose.

My question for everyone is... how do you anchor down a big bait and be able to get your rig in after an all day sit without breaking your line or your back?? I used to use 1lb spiders with SS prongs but after sitting out for 12 hours it tends to bury itself deep into the sand. Nearly impossible to break free. Although, it’ll sure keep a bait stuck even in some pretty swift currents. Just a PITA at the end of the day.

I’ve thought about using sacrificial weights tied down with like 25# mono that’ll pop off before the mainline breaks.

Comment

I've done it a couple different ways. In the past I've used the breakaway weight method like you described with pretty good success. I've also run a float line from the leader to a section of pool noodle. When you're ready to reel in, paddle out to the float, grab the leader, unhook the weight, then paddle in and reel in the bait.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
                              Agreed 100%, except I run 700# mono... just a little more umph I suppose.

My question for everyone is... how do you anchor down a big bait and be able to get your rig in after an all day sit without breaking your line or your back?? I used to use 1lb spiders with SS prongs but after sitting out for 12 hours it tends to bury itself deep into the sand. Nearly impossible to break free. Although, it’ll sure keep a bait stuck even in some pretty swift currents. Just a PITA at the end of the day.

I’ve thought about using sacrificial weights tied down with like 25# mono that’ll pop off before the mainline breaks.
                              Best way is the guys with a float and paddle out and grab it. I use lighter weights with 6 copper prongs rather than going so heavy. I make them modeled after "Big Lou's" style, lead pyramid with three sets of double copper on the end. Do NOT make them the size of normal weights, lol... Use the smallest you can get away with, they stick like glue but once you bend out the copper they'll come in readily and when you catch something you don't have a 1 lb sled attached to the line complicating things.

Comment

I usually just weighted baits with a 8oz. spider weight. If the current was strong I tied on another one.

Comment

Working...
                                X