Mesquite Country Sausage Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

syr02,

We use them as one of the suppliers at the company I work for. They make great products.

Comment

I'm looking to start making my own sausage this year. Whats a good grinder/stuffer to start with?

Comment

The cabelas grinders are great. LEM makes a good product also.

Alot of people use the cheap northern tool models but I cannot vouch for them.

Or you could go big time and get Butcher Boy 5 horse like I have that will do 40 pounds a minute!

Comment

Made some jalapeno and cheese smoked sausage this weekend, 15 lbs. from a doe, and 15 lbs. from a wild hog. We followed your recipe exactly and it is really good, but it has a little gamey taste. We used hog casings, and they have a funky smell, is that taste from them or possibly the wild hog. Both deer and hog sat on ice for 3-5 days and then frozen before we did this. Overall the sausage was great and a great experience, will keep using the recipes. How are the synthetic casings?
          Last edited by Hawkins; 12-01-2008, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Most likely it was just the meat. I actually prefer icy water drained every day to get the game taste out. Could be the casings but I doubt it.

Synthetic's are alright. A little tougher IMO. My #1 preference is Hog Guts.

Thanks for bringing this btt. I've had alot of emails as of late.

Comment

thanks for taking the time for these recipes, i think i will try some store bought pork next time, and change up a few things to get more flavor.

Comment

Thanks for the great info.

Comment

I am interested in the sausage recipes, but when I click on the link all I get is the jerky recipe. Am I doing something wrong or not looking in the right place?

Comment

bowhuntercoach,

there are tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet. click on the sausage recipes tab.

Comment

Travis, thanks for the recipes, I got a Sitka doe on ice that is gonna get turned into some summer sausage. Do you smoke it until it reaches 165 internal temp???

Comment

yes. The usda recommends all raw meats be cooked to a minimum internal of 165 degrees.

Comment

Travis,what about using frozen meat? Is this a good idea?also would you suggest soaking in ice water after thawing?

Comment

Not a problem! Frozen meat is not an issue at all. I wouldnt suggest soaking it. That will take on excess water making your sausage more exudative.

Comment

Travis I noticed on the jalapeno and cheese recipe that it had cure in it and was wondering if I need it if Im going to make this as a fresh sausage recipe and not smoke it. I have some jerky cure if I need it but didnt know if it needed cure because of the cheese. Thanks alot in advance..

Comment

If you're not smoking omit the cure.

Comment

Working...
                                X