The adventure begins. Blind build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
    I second the above, weld a nut on the back of one of the tabs.

*** a quick tip, thread a bolt through the nut when you weld the nut to the tab. That way if you get the nut too hot it wont mess up the thread. Once the nut cools remove the bolt. That or after you weld the nut on you can re-thread the nut. This will save you from some serious aggravation when assembling in the field. Don't ask me how I know!
    I was going to suggest welding the nut on as well.

Welding the bolt would work also and may help with assembly. You could mount one section then your bolts would act as 'pins' to steady the next till you get a nut threaded. Of course then youd be trying to fit the bolt to the hole while holding one section while balancing in the air about the time youd drop your nuts

Take some of those clamps to use as extra hands when you get to the lease.

Tell me about the windows you built...material for frame, glass etc

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      I was going to suggest welding the nut on as well.

Welding the bolt would work also and may help with assembly. You could mount one section then your bolts would act as 'pins' to steady the next till you get a nut threaded. Of course then youd be trying to fit the bolt to the hole while holding one section while balancing in the air about the time youd drop your nuts

Take some of those clamps to use as extra hands when you get to the lease.

Tell me about the windows you built...material for frame, glass etc
      Thanks for the tips guys. On the windows I use aluminum Screen frame from Lowes, comes in 7 foot sections for about 4.00 then the corners are 1.98 per package of four. I cut them to size these are 12x24. The plexiglass I ordered off of Amazon. 6 per package 60.00. I remove the film on one side then use goop to attach the plexi to the frame. Hinges I ordered on line from a company Global Industrial. They are about 3.00 each. I can post links for the plexi and hinges. I will get some better pictures when I get a chance.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
        Thanks for the tips guys. On the windows I use aluminum Screen frame from Lowes, comes in 7 foot sections for about 4.00 then the corners are 1.98 per package of four. I cut them to size these are 12x24. The plexiglass I ordered off of Amazon. 6 per package 60.00. I remove the film on one side then use goop to attach the plexi to the frame. Hinges I ordered on line from a company Global Industrial. They are about 3.00 each. I can post links for the plexi and hinges. I will get some better pictures when I get a chance.
        Preciate it!

I like that idea

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
          Good information! Tagging for later

Comment

I got the steel to begin either the back side with the door or one of the sides. Trying to decide which. I was at my Mom's over the week end there was an old barn me and my Dad built many years ago that got destroyed in a storm about 10 years ago. Couldn't remember what we built it out of. I went and took a look and it is R-panel. I was able to salvage plenty to skin the walls and roof of my blind. 140.00 savings right there vs new.
            Attached Files

Comment

Update. Got three sides finished and ready to weld the clips on. Once they are welded I will be able to unbolt it then bolt it back together at the site on my lease. Next is the rear with door. I think I am going to offset the door to one side which will give me a longer space for shelves. What do folks think.
              Attached Files

Comment

Lookin good. How low are those windows? Might just be the angle but they seem pretty low.

What did the steel square tubing run you?

Comment

the windows are 34" from the bottom. The steel I am buying one side at a time as my budget allows. 7 6' 1x1 14ga runs about 75.00 I have the steel for the back side will need to buy it for the roof frame.

Comment

Where are you buying your steel from?
                    $75 for 7 - 6' 1x1 14ga is way to expensive.
                    Im paying $0.80 a ft for it in Northeast Tx

Comment

It figures out 1.42 a foot here but there is no competition. There are 3 places to buy Metals4U is the closest, there is a place in Georgetown that is about the same price, another place in Taylor is a little cheaper but by the time I make the 35 mile round trip I don't save much.

Comment

Made a little more progress, door on front inside plywood cut. Should get the rest of the sides done over the weekend. Coll weather sure was nice.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wasn't sure that old siding I salvaged off my Dads old barn was going to work Ribs are deeper than the more modern stuff. I put some sheets up temporarily see what it looked like. I think it will work. I think have enough to do the whole thing. If not then back to Mom's and get some more. Just need to power wash it and paint it cut out for the window openings. What do you guys think?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Making progress. Season will be here before you know it. Hope to have ready and in the field by mid September. Sides insulated time to put the R Panel I salvaged on.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Lookin good!

Comment

More Progress. Dang hot weather slowing me down too hot to be putting up R-panel. Got most painting done of the green coat. Ran out so back to homer depot.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X