X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like it’s a power trip at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      I didnt know there were practice test to take. I had to read the book back in the day when I got mine.

Heads up, it is a complete PITA to pass the driving test part now. We send guys all the time and they almost never pass the first time.. Its almost as the system is set up to fail the first time.
      I need the driving part too ... what are the issues they are failing on?

Comment

For the pre-trip inspection, can you use a military type "checklist", or does it have to be from memory?

Comment

The driving test isn’t to bad, but the pre trip inspection is a PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
            The driving test isn’t to bad, but the pre trip inspection is a PITA.

It was the complete opposite for me

Comment

Depends which card you pick.

For those that don't know, the scorer will hold out a bunch of cards like a magic trick and have you pick one. The card will have a section of the truck to pretrip as well as the three maneuvers you will perform before the actual road test. Both times, I pulled the dreaded FULL truck inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                I just had a driver fail the pretrip, the lady said he didn't explain the function of each thing thorough enough. The test has definitely changed and gotten harder.
                Had a guy fail today for the fourth time, he is young and just gets really nervous, I told him maybe he should smoke a joint before he takes it next time.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                  I need the driving part too ... what are the issues they are failing on?

If you can get to the driving it’s not no problem, but most never get in the cab do to the card they select.

Don’t hit a curb, automatic fail. I don’t know if they still have to parallel park, but when I got mine 16 years ago you did.

Comment

I just got my CDL and the pre trip is a real pain in the butt. A lot depends on who
                    your DPS rep is and what kind of mood they are in. Do not waste your time going to
                    the Canton DPS office to test, you will never know what you did wrong but they will
                    get you on something.
                    Also if you have a permit to take the driving test you are suppose to have a licensed CDL holder in the truck with you. Guess who does not have a CDL license when you go to take the CDL driving test. That's right the DPS rep that is giving you your test!!!!

Comment

BlackHogDown, any chance you’d mind shooting me that practice test. I own my own trucking company (I hired a full time driver, but have been needing to make the leap.) I’ll trade for beer! Brian@5toolhauling.com

Comment

BlackHog is spot on! I added hazmat and tank a few years back and passed the written by studying the book they provide online.
                        The pre-trip is the killer for most. The youtube videos on pre-trip are very helpful, had a new driver pass on his first run because he watched them for about 3 weeks prior to his test. Took a 20 year driver that had let his expire and he failed twice before passing. He finally settled down and watched the videos and took his time on the third test. Another old driver that had let his expire watched the videos and passed his on the first round.
                        Touching or pointing and explaining what you are doing and why you are doing it is the key. Talk slow and don't get in a hurry. The driving test is the same, tell what your doing, what your looking for, and why your doing it.
                        Lastly, Livingston has the best pass rate in SE Texas. We see folks from Santa Fe to Bryan there taking the tests.

Comment

Man, reading all this sure makes me happy that I never let mine drop!

Comment

I've only had my class A about 2 1/2 years, got it at a school. The school was also licensed to do DOT testing. Every day one or two people would come to take their driving test and probably 80% failed. Most over the previous trip but a large number simply could not back up a truck to meet the test requirements.

Some guys you felt bad for but others really needed some time practicing before they go turned loose on the road.

Comment

question here, Ive had a class A since 2003, last year when I renewed they asked if I was driving with air brakes since I self certify and am not driving commercial but just keeping the CDL, well I said not right now, even though I do if we need to move a tractor etc. They dropped my air brakes but still have the Class A. If I renew to get the air brakes back will I need to go through all the driving/pretrip etc again?

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                                question here, Ive had a class A since 2003, last year when I renewed they asked if I was driving with air brakes since I self certify and am not driving commercial but just keeping the CDL, well I said not right now, even though I do if we need to move a tractor etc. They dropped my air brakes but still have the Class A. If I renew to get the air brakes back will I need to go through all the driving/pretrip etc again?
                                If not mistaken, you can simply go and test for the endorsements. HAZMAT, standard trans, air brakes, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X