Arrow Weight for Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Weight for Elk

My plans have changed and I will be doing a DIY elk hunt in early September. My current and only setup is my Mathews Outback at 70 lbs shooting 8.2 gpi Expedition Hunters cut to 28.75 with 100 gr Muzzy fixed blade broadheads. My speed is probably 275 fps. Without fletching and nock, the weight calculates to 335.75 grains. The build sheet shows 378 with fletching and inserts. I shoot it well and have never tried anything else.

Smart guys on the web say I need closer to 500 grains. Can I just buy some 150 grain broadheads or add 50 grain inserts, resight my bow and be done or is there more to it?

Thanks. I've killed a lot of stuff with my bow including deer, javelina, hogs and bear, but elk are big suckers and don't want to do right by them.

Thanks

Jayson
    Last edited by Outback; 07-23-2019, 02:35 PM.

First thing's first. A grain scale on amazon is $12-15

Second, you'll likely be out of tune just slapping that much extra weight up front. A good way to add weight with little spine change is to use weight tubes, weed whacker line, or paracord.

Comment

Shoot the one that "you" shoot the best, you have plenty of bow so use a straight arrow with a very sharp broadhead and you'll be fine.

Comment

Short answer is yes. Check out Ethics Archery for insert/outserts and RMS Cutthroat broadheads

Comment

personally I would build up some FMJs in a 340 spine at around 10.5 GPI and then cut/tune them to shoot a good 150 grain COC point with a 50-75 grain insert. That should get you up to around 535- 575 total arrow weight. But the set up you have should be fine with a good COC head. If you have any ectra arrow length to play with you can probably get an extra 100-125 grains to fly good on the arrows you currently have. 3Rivers has a good deal on steelforce 2 blades right now $14.95 a pack. For that price you can buy a pack of 150s and see how they shoot.

Comment

OP 475-500 would be a great TAW for Elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You’ll be fine with 340 spine of 7595 arrows out of that bow. I killed a pile of elk with similar setup. If you can hit what you’re aiming at with a sharp broadhead you’ll be fine!

Comment

Thanks for the help. I failed to mention that my arrows are 400 spine and really too light. The Gold Tip spine chart shows I at least need 340 spine arrows and 300 if I plan to shoot 125 or 150 at almost 29". Since I have to buy arrows anyway, I'm thinking I may just go 300 and see how the 100 gr muzzys shoot plain and with 25 and 50 gr inserts. I've never done the FOC math but I think I will give it a try. My Outback bow is pretty forgiving so I suspect it will fling most arrows accurately. I've long though I needed heavier arrows as I seldom get pass throughs on big hogs. I have a chronograph now so I will be curious how slow the arrows will fly. I may be approaching recurve levels with the heavy arrows and broadheads.

Comment

I'm right at 500 grains 16 percent foc on some velocity 300s.

Comment

I use bloodsport onyx 300’s with the outsirts, out of an elite synergy. 29.5” DL and 68lbs DW. Total arrow weight with 100gr broadheads is 537gr. I believe I’m shooting 250fps. Would that be sufficient for elk, with a good COC head?

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                      Thanks for the help. I failed to mention that my arrows are 400 spine and really too light. The Gold Tip spine chart shows I at least need 340 spine arrows and 300 if I plan to shoot 125 or 150 at almost 29". Since I have to buy arrows anyway, I'm thinking I may just go 300 and see how the 100 gr muzzys shoot plain and with 25 and 50 gr inserts. I've never done the FOC math but I think I will give it a try. My Outback bow is pretty forgiving so I suspect it will fling most arrows accurately. I've long though I needed heavier arrows as I seldom get pass throughs on big hogs. I have a chronograph now so I will be curious how slow the arrows will fly. I may be approaching recurve levels with the heavy arrows and broadheads.

If I were you, I’d buy some 300s, a true COC head(not a chisel tip like a Muzzy), and inserts to get you north of 450gr TAW, and retune your bow. Don’t get too wrapped up in FOC numbers, just put some weight on the front of your arrow and make sure it tunes good.

I killed an elk at 55 yards last year with a 475gr arrow at 240fps and a 2 blade Stinger. Arrow was laying about 10 yards behind the elk.

Comment

Originally posted by matt.howell411 View Post
                        I use bloodsport onyx 300’s with the outsirts, out of an elite synergy. 29.5” DL and 68lbs DW. Total arrow weight with 100gr broadheads is 537gr. I believe I’m shooting 250fps. Would that be sufficient for elk, with a good COC head?

Absolutely.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Quackadikt!

Comment

Working...
                          X