Clear All

6.5 would be my guess.

I also agree the fence height is irrelevant

Comment

6.5 +

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        8.5 to 9.5 but could be older
        Under those conditions this is my "guess" also..

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          6.5 would be my guess.

I also agree the fence height is irrelevant
          There was suppose to be a plus sign after the 6.5. He’s at least that old, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he was a year or two older. I don’t have enough experience to distinguish between 6.5 and 8.5

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
            Those teeth show 5+. Which simply means that deer could have been 5, or he could have been 12...or anywhere in between.

Fence height is irrelevant.
            This all day long

Comment

What works for me is cementum annuli aging. Is it a perfect science, no, but it has not failed me yet. Over the years the results have always come back to what I thought I knew what a specific deer's age was. This past season I killed a buck I was pretty danged sure was a 7 year old. Upon removing the jaw I freaked out a little bit because the teeth were not worn as I expected. The visual made me think 5 and our lease member "age guru" (you know the type) was going on and on saying deer was 4. Even after showing him 5 years of pictures. Don't get me started. Anyways, sent the teeth off and boom, 7 year old. I could go on and on of stories like this. For me CA has not let me down. I am not saying it the be all end all, just saying it works for me and I have come to trust it over tooth wear.

Comment

Comment

By definition, using the Serveringhaus method, one side says 5.5 and the other hints at 6.5 (partially dished out 4th tooth (1st molar)). But, the technique tends to fall apart at older ages. For most management purposed, mature seems to work. Little value in aging deer past 6.5.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                    What works for me is cementum annuli aging. Is it a perfect science, no, but it has not failed me yet. Over the years the results have always come back to what I thought I knew what a specific deer's age was. This past season I killed a buck I was pretty danged sure was a 7 year old. Upon removing the jaw I freaked out a little bit because the teeth were not worn as I expected. The visual made me think 5 and our lease member "age guru" (you know the type) was going on and on saying deer was 4. Even after showing him 5 years of pictures. Don't get me started. Anyways, sent the teeth off and boom, 7 year old. I could go on and on of stories like this. For me CA has not let me down. I am not saying it the be all end all, just saying it works for me and I have come to trust it over tooth wear.

Please let me know where you sent it. I may want to use them also.

Comment

Teeth show 6/7 so that means he's either 4 or 8

Comment

6.5 plus

Comment

I think aging teeth is a waste of time UNLESS you have a log book of several years of deer watched and harvested in same area due to type of soil, nutrients, vegetation,etc. Shooting a deer off a lease with no history of deer and deciding how old it is off teeth is not very accurate. I have a place where I have history with deer for 20+ years and couple years ago shot a 6.5yr old and only showed the jaws on here to get opinions. A VERY LARGE majority of people said 4.5yr old. When I finally showed pic of the bucks a few of those people came back and gave him 5.5+. It is cool to guess age based on jaws but need history of jaws and deer in that area to be more accurate IMO.

Comment

Tooth aging is a waist of time.I killed 2 known 6.5 yr olds with pics to back it up and they showed 4.5.Full protein low fence ETX Jan-August.Alot of good hunters have been booted over this deal...

Comment

Originally posted by txduckcutter View Post
                              tooth aging is a waist of time.i killed 2 known 6.5 yr olds with pics to back it up and they showed 4.5.full protein low fence etx jan-august.alot of good hunters have been booted over this deal...
                              Fact!! In many cases it will not even get you close..

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post

We have been doing the cementum annuli aging for 6 years now, we are giving it up this year cause of some of the research we have found shows it’s only 62% accurate. I can let you know first person experience, I sent a known tooth in, ear tagged doe, 5.5yr old, they aged her at 7.5, this has happened three times. The first two times were from deerage.com and another one I can’t remember at the moment. I have a hard time trusting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X