No announcement yet.

DIY flats skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a build like this is there any mechanical fasteners holding it together, or is just the fiberglass that is placed over everything? I have seen this type of build with canoes and kayaks, but not a regular fishing skiff that would be subjected to pounding and the torque of an outboard on the transom.

Looks like a fun project!

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
      On a build like this is there any mechanical fasteners holding it together, or is just the fiberglass that is placed over everything? I have seen this type of build with canoes and kayaks, but not a regular fishing skiff that would be subjected to pounding and the torque of an outboard on the transom.

Looks like a fun project!

Just fiberglass and resin over the structural (5 ply) 6mm marine plywood. The glass layup schedule is very specific.

Got it all ready to “glue” the seams between zip-ties! Tomorrow we will take care of that and fabricate a tent to keep the heat in for proper curing.

Comment

After lunch I will warm up the shop and spread thickened epoxy between the zip ties along all the seams in the bilge. Afterwards I will drape the boat with a tarp and a halogen light to keep it warm during the cure time. To thicken the epoxy I will add sawdust.

Michael

Comment

Very cool

Comment

All seams have been epoxied! I then covered it with shipping cardboard, set an electric heater inside, and stuck a meat thermometer into a zip tie hole so I can monitor the temperature.

Comment

So you epoxy from inside out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hunterburch42 View Post
                So you epoxy from inside out?

Yes. You start by “tacking” with thickened epoxy between the zip ties on the inside. After it cures, cut the zip ties and remove the stringers. Now, on the inside again, tape (strips of fiberglass) the seams and epoxy the entire bilge. I am using a slow cure epoxy so after I tape the seams I will reinstall the stringers. The tape I just put in will still be wet so I can get back in there and tape the stringers in place. I’ll let that cure a couple days then flip the boat over and start on the outside hull.

Michael

Comment

A few words of caution.

Do not try to go too fast. You need to ensure the hull planing surface is in the correct orientation, what I mean is perfectly flat where it should be and correct/symmetrical angles where its not flat. This will be the only time to get it right. Since it does not look like you are building on a jig just take your time. Measure 10 times before mixing epoxy.
                  No hard angles either. Use smooth curves wherever possible.

Keep chipping away. Do a little everyday and you'll build a boat.

Tim

Comment

Awesome. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
                      A few words of caution.

Do not try to go too fast. You need to ensure the hull planing surface is in the correct orientation, what I mean is perfectly flat where it should be and correct/symmetrical angles where its not flat. This will be the only time to get it right. Since it does not look like you are building on a jig just take your time. Measure 10 times before mixing epoxy.
                      No hard angles either. Use smooth curves wherever possible.

Keep chipping away. Do a little everyday and you'll build a boat.

Tim

Thank you but I did that earlier prior to applying thickened epoxy to the hull seams. There is no way to adjust anything now plus it is already “dress right dress”.

Michael

Comment

Gotcha was wondering how you epoxied without the zip ties.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterburch42 View Post
                          Gotcha was wondering how you epoxied without the zip ties.

Everything was filleted. Originally I was going to create more work on myself but I decided better. Will get another picture this afternoon that shows it all. Hopefully tomorrow I can remove the zip ties.

Michael

Comment

I spread thickened epoxy along one edge only of the stringers and supports (fillets). After this cures real well I will flip the boat and start on the hull. After the hull is complete I will flip it back over and glass the bilge.

Michael

Comment

I’m cutting zip ties now. After lunch I will epoxy in a support block for the bow winch eyelet and glass the bilge. Pictures to follow this evening.

Michael

Comment

I need to get another picture of after the final pass over what has been done removing any air bubbles and confirming saturation.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X