Shot angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot angle

Check out this crazy shot angle. This is the doe I shot a couple weeks ago. Per my rangefinder, it was 14 yards to where she was standing from my tree stand (approximately 16 feet up in the tree). The shot hit very close to where I was looking/aiming and should have entered on a downward trajectory. However, she had enough time to roll out/drop, which resulted in an upward angle...so much so that the broadhead lodged in the spine after taking out the onside lung. Amazingly tough and fast animals. The reaction time is amazing. She was relatively calm immediately prior to the shot.

It is amazing. Made for a short recovery though.[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      It is amazing. Made for a short recovery though.[emoji1]

That it did...shortest recovery I have ever had!

Comment

No way it a lung that's supposed to be no mans land

Comment

Was the deer's head down while she was browsing or was her head up and alert?

Comment

Head was down. The inside lung poured out of the cavity like it had been hit with a 30-06

Comment

I made about the same exact shot But was 30 yds & 10 ft up with a compound
              Doe rolled so much it went in low lung & buried in the spine from below. Dropped rt there

Comment

When I see slo-mo footage of critters being shot with an arrow, it sometimes makes me wonder how we are ever successful!!!! It is amazing how much and how fast they can move.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  When I see slo-mo footage of critters being shot with an arrow, it sometimes makes me wonder how we are ever successful!!!! It is amazing how much and how fast they can move.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree. Several folks have told me pigs and javelinas don’t duck arrows. Slo mo proves that to be wrong!

Comment

A whitetail doe is the champion of not being where she was when the arrow gets there. Even when calm. It’s gotten to where she better be pretty close if I’m taking the shot.

Comment

I found this very informational.

Deer Hunting! We've never been able to compare the simultaneous reactions of two deer, side by side, one head up and one head down to a bow shot until recent...

Cliff's notes: Shoot deer with their head up. If looking down, they can react quicker and move faster. If their head is up, it's the equivalent of catching them flat footed. They can still move to duck a shot, but it's less ergonomic for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                        I found this very informational.

Deer Hunting! We've never been able to compare the simultaneous reactions of two deer, side by side, one head up and one head down to a bow shot until recent...

Cliff's notes: Shoot deer with their head up. If looking down, they can react quicker and move faster. If their head is up, it's the equivalent of catching them flat footed. They can still move to duck a shot, but it's less ergonomic for them.

Thank you! That is good info

Comment

Ninja moves! I like those videos where they put a dot on the lower part of the deer's vitals - where they were aiming - then show it in in slo-mo. Even after all these years I'm stunned by the distance they can move before the arrow gets there.

Comment

Originally posted by duck'n View Post
                            Thank you! That is good info
                            Happy to share. I never would have though it made a difference until I saw the video. They have to live their life as an athlete in their prime every second in order to survive.

Comment

I watched the video but I had a head up axis deer turn a broad side into a quartering away shot at 16 yards.
                              They are just fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X