Speed?
    Bow weight?
    Tunability?
    Warranty?
    Resale value?
    Draw cycle?
    Short bow or longer ATA?
    What type of grip do you like?

As other have said, yes, letting the bow pick you is important. But at the same time, it’s a little hard to know how a bow holds at full draw when you’re shooting a bare bow standing 6ft from the target.

For me, I love shorter bows but I don’t shoot them worth a darn with a longer draw length, plus the string angle makes me duck my head to anchor.

Once I think through all the issues I said up top, I lean toward forgiveness.

Then I think about warranty. Mathews tends to win that for me, because I know they’ll have parts available in 5+ years. Plus you always get a real life human being when you call customer service…

Tunability wise, Bowtech’s deadlock and Elite’s SET system are way ahead of everything else in regard to ease of tuning. Of course for timing, you’re still gonna need a bow press.

Mathews and Hoyt are gonna have you buying their top hats and shim system.

PSE/Obsession/Athens or really any old binary cam (and I haven’t jacked with prime much) are gonna have you playing with shims. Shims make me want to throw the bow in a wood chipper…

Also, some factory strings are better than others. It’s a small consideration, but it’s something to think about. Zebra strings suck!

At the end of the day, don’t let a sales person push you into a bow you’re unsure about. Take the time to think about it. And you can read all sorts of stuff but ultimately YOU are the one who has to shoot it.
    There are all things I need to consider! Thank you for this

Comment

My v3x makes me smile a lot

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
          Elite… cause that’s what I shoot

This is my 11th season with a 2010 Elite Judge. It’s been bounced around in my truck and banged while hunting. Other than putting a Winner’s Choice string and cable on it years ago and using Scorpion Venom string wax a couple times a year- zero technical issues.

With your shoulder issue, I suggest you look at a 60# bow. When I had a pinched nerve in my beck/ shoulder I was able to back- out my 70# Elite down to 52# and it shot great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            This is my 11th season with a 2010 Elite Judge. It’s been bounced around in my truck and banged while hunting. Other than putting a Winner’s Choice string and cable on it years ago and using Scorpion Venom string wax a couple times a year- zero technical issues.

With your shoulder issue, I suggest you look at a 60# bow. When I had a pinched nerve in my beck/ shoulder I was able to back- out my 70# Elite down to 52# and it shot great.

Was planning on starting at a lower draw weight and working my way up for sure! Back/Shoulder pain is never fun

Comment

Get a Mathews With 60lb mods !

Comment

Hoyt, because that is what I currently have (RX-7). But before that, I had a Mathew HTX, and I love that bow. Still have it, still love shooting it. Easy on the shoulders too, even at 70 lbs.

But like others said, go to the shop and shoot a bunch of bows. A good bow shop is worth a 3-4 hour drive, vs a poor bow shop 15 minutes down the road. I drive an hour one way to get to a good bow shop, vs the one that is 1 block from my office.

Comment

I had a Mathews. Bought a Hoyt. Took the Hoyt back 2 days later and got a new Mathews. I didn't like the draw cycle of the Hoyt, just took me a few shots to realize it.

They're all fast and quiet, can't go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
                    I agree, i succumbed to the hype and got a shorter ATA bow and while its nice in a blind or crowded tree, it's just not as stable at distance and the string angle is pretty steep with my 29" draw.

It's taken more almost a year to admit that to myself, since it's the first new bow i had bought in over a decade.

Same, only this year is my 5th season with my Triax at 29.5” draw. I defended myself all the time because i shot it great. String angle, blah blah blah. Still to this day shoot it out to 80 yds but i’m having trouble keeping my arrow on the rest during the draw and its driving me bananas. The string pinches the nock and wants to raise the tip of the arrow. Lord knows what it’s doing once released…… i’m going longer after this season.

OP, many have said it already but shoot as many as you can and you will know which one fits better. Each brand has its quirks with customer service and its tunability. But they are all great bows. I’m a big Mathews fan and so was my brother. He wanted a V3X before he walked into the shop. Shot a couple bows and walked out with a Hoyt Ventum 33. It just fit him better and he was never a Hoyt fan.

Comment

Originally posted by coldtrail View Post
                      I have a brand new Bowtech Carbon Zion I'll sell you. Only had 8 shots through it. I bought two Carbon Zions but only need one. Earth brown color, RH, Up to 70 pounds. Paid 800 plus tax, I'll sell to you for 500 cash.
                      Location?

Comment

Working...
                      X