Corn in a Gravity Feed feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn in a Gravity Feed feeder?

Anyone do this? Mainly to keep the pigs away?

We sometime mix a little corn in our Protein (1/4 ratio) to keep the cost down when they eat a whole protein feeder in a weekend...

Comment

That is all I use. No spin cast for me. I have better luck in E Tx with free choice feeders. Bucks are not as spooky around them. I have done this for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
        That is all I use. No spin cast for me. I have better luck in E Tx with free choice feeders. Bucks are not as spooky around them. I have done this for years.
        What is a good low budget option for a gravity feeder that the coons and squirrels will not destroy? Is there such a thing "good low budget"?

Comment

When you mix protein with it the coons increase their attacks

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
            What is a good low budget option for a gravity feeder that the coons and squirrels will not destroy? Is there such a thing "good low budget"?
            A tpost and redneck feeder

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
              A tpost and redneck feeder
              I may be wrong but I thought those were plastic?

Comment

Take a 55 gallon drum and bolt a 4x4 on each side. Cut a hole in the bottom for a funnel to go through. Screw a toilet flange over the hole for the funnel. Glue a short piece of 4" pvc onto the flange. Glue a tee onto it and then glue a short piece of pvc coming out of the tee. Dig the post holes to make the finished height around 40" from the ground to bottom of the pvc coming out of the tee. I screwed a 2x4 under the pipe to help support it. Yes coons can still get in but they haven't been to bad. Occasionally a big hog can rear up and get some corn but that doesn't happen very often.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                  Take a 55 gallon drum and bolt a 4x4 on each side. Cut a hole in the bottom for a funnel to go through. Screw a toilet flange over the hole for the funnel. Glue a short piece of 4" pvc onto the flange. Glue a tee onto it and then glue a short piece of pvc coming out of the tee. Dig the post holes to make the finished height around 40" from the ground to bottom of the pvc coming out of the tee. I screwed a 2x4 under the pipe to help support it. Yes coons can still get in but they haven't been to bad. Occasionally a big hog can rear up and get some corn but that doesn't happen very often.
                  Man I might try this. I have good luck with the pvc type hung on the side of a tree. Just a tube with a sweeping 90 on one end.

Comment

Originally posted by worthag3ball View Post
                    Anyone do this? Mainly to keep the pigs away?
                    In my experience, the pigs can empty a 55 gallon drum gravity feeder with corn in no time flat. I don't use them unless behind a pen for that reason.

Comment

I may be wrong but I thought those were plastic?
                      When on a tpost, the only thing I’ve witnessed chewing are big hogs on the mouth hole if below 44”. On trees supposedly the squirrels will chew threw the lids.

Coons don’t chew them, they hang on them and rake the food out the hole to the hogs.

Then there are the god forsaken ravens

I hung pig pipes up vertically for giggles and the pigs will go on hind legs and slap them at almost 50 inches.

I’m about at the conclusion, go timed or go home.
                      Last edited by Voodoo; 08-29-2022, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I've always used them metal army artillery shell canisters(pretty sure that isn't the real name of them)lol. Make a slit down at the bottom about 1/2 way through and bend the top in to create a funnel. Drill a few holes in the bottom and wire it to a tree. You also screw in a short piece of 2x4 to make a lip for it to sit on. Nothing better for a cheap dependable pipe feeder and some of the bigger ones will hold right at a sack of feed. Also they have a slick lid that seals super good and nothing in the woods will tear it up. Problem is they are getting harder to find and when you do they are expensive. They used to be dirt cheap and available and nearly army surplus store. Found a link. This is a short one, but they make some taller ones that hold plenty of corn.
                        Last edited by cwill; 08-29-2022, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WGI_0037 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	24691765 this is how I did mine

Comment

Doright, that is a slick homemade set up.
                            Bout how many inches you shoot for from bare ground to the protein in the tube?

Edit-saw your post way above saying 40”. Thanks for the detailed description.
                            Last edited by Yak blue; 08-29-2022, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Nothing keeps pigs away

Comment

Working...
                              X