No announcement yet.

2020 Austin/Colorado/Fayette/Washington Counties Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody hunting north of New Ulm feeding protein successfully? Ive been trying soybean/corn mix unsuccessfully for two years now. Curious what folks are having success with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Everytime I feed protein pellets our cows tear everything down trying to get to it. I have been spinning the raosted soybean/corn mix for the last three years with success. My deer eat the soubean. I also throw out a trophy rock for some salt/minerals.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Man View Post
        Everytime I feed protein pellets our cows tear everything down trying to get to it. I have been spinning the raosted soybean/corn mix for the last three years with success. My deer eat the soubean. I also throw out a trophy rock for some salt/minerals.

Cows do love the smell of that protein!

When I put the mix in a free choice the deer could just care less its there. Theyll eat it off the ground if some falls out, but they wont eat it out of the feeder. Kinda weird to me.

Comment

We did deer counts last Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
            We did deer counts last Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple good looking bucks there!

Comment

Only two weeks until game day. Things are starting to happen at our place. I had three or four different bucks on camera this past week, and the scrape I'm hunting this year had tracks in it, and a twig on the licking branch was freshly snapped.

I'm curious what age guesses y'all got for this deer. The second photo is a screenshot from the video that was taken at the same time as the first photo. The video only caught a couple seconds of him before he walked out of frame.
              Attached Files

Comment

Im going off first pic and saying two year old. Second pic makes him look four.

I need to check my cam but had a young buck cruising last week.

Comment

What’s a buck? It’s doe city in Cat Spring.

Comment

Looks 3.5 to me. Nice buck for the area.

Comment

I’m gonna be out of town a lot over the next 5-6 weeks, so I went ahead and planted the food plot today, in anticipation of the rains that are forecast for this week. Hope the rain doesn’t pull it’s usual “let’s split around the farm and not drop any precipitation” 😑 but it’s in either way, so we’ll see how it goes first time to plant a plot here, I just hope the rain is a decent one versus a flood that washes everything down the creek

Finally got the cameras out, not expecting many bucks yet...as soon as the cruising starts, we’ll see what shows up

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                        Im going off first pic and saying two year old. Second pic makes him look four.

I need to check my cam but had a young buck cruising last week.

Originally posted by Red Man View Post
                        Looks 3.5 to me. Nice buck for the area.
                        I'm going back & forth between 3.5 & 4.5. His body doesn't really stand out to me, but it looks like he has a short, blocky head & and an older face. At least when I zoom in, anyways. Hopefully I'll see him in person and will be able to make a better judgement .

Comment

Buzzbait, is that top picture a big 8 or 7 point?

Comment

I don’t know about the rest of y’all, but I’m loving this rain it’s a slow steady soaker, much needed here between Brenham and Bellville. Thankfully I was able to get the plot in before it started, hopefully when I get back into town from Colorado I’ll have some greenery...I just hope the dang hogs don’t find it before it takes root

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                              I don’t know about the rest of y’all, but I’m loving this rain it’s a slow steady soaker, much needed here between Brenham and Bellville. Thankfully I was able to get the plot in before it started, hopefully when I get back into town from Colorado I’ll have some greenery...I just hope the dang hogs don’t find it before it takes root

It is much needed and nice. Kind of hope ol Beta finds a way to keep raining on is for a few more hrs yet. When it heads off to the ENE I believe we’ll out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                                Yes sir. I wish we would have gotten the 10"-15" Pearland got. Our pond is getting pretty low.

Comment

Working...
                                X