Thread: Little things
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

It is a skill. Skills have to be worked at and developed. Practiced to try to attain perfection.
Now over the years some tools have been designed to assist in making it easier and more consistent.
But I think too many don't know the difference between sharp and scary sharp.
I'm sitting in a blind wishing I could have gotten a shot at this axis buck. I have a very sharp single bevel Grizstix head with his name on it.
I haven't shot these in years and before I stored them in pill bottles I had them scary sharp. The pill bottle lid has a small hole drilled in it and the ferrel screws into it so the blade never touches plastic and technically should never dull.
However when I took them out of the bottle and checked them, yes still scary sharp but I could not help myself but to give them a few loving strokes on the stone.

The difference in the sharpness of a broadhead can come down to did it nick that blood vessel as it barely touched it on the way through or did it just push it out of the way and now a would have been dead animal bleeding enough to track and find turns into a tough or impossible track and an animal just wounded badly.
We work hard to tune our arrow set ups, get our form and release consistent and down pat.
Yet some will shoot a broadhead into a foam target then pull the arrow and go shoot an animal with it. Or shoot one animal, retrieve the arrow and shoot another without touching up the blade.
So much so I have bought several sharpeners and leave them at our ranch. And if I'm there I'll even sharpen/resharpen heads for my two ranch partners.
Thankfully one of them at least has listened and is trying to get good at it. The other one I'm pretty sure I'll be sharpening his until I die.[emoji1] At least now he wants me to.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top