Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
    Okay, I have a question. If an animal is harvested that has the ticks affected with red tick fever, is that animal edible? I really have nit studied up on this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    The meat is fine but they won't let you have any of the hide, including the cape, until it has been frozen in their freezer for awhile.

Comment

24 hours frozen i believe is what they told us last year..

Comment

That's what I thought but I was hearing some different ideas. I figured if you could not eat it, they would not let the public hunt them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

This will be our first time out there and looking for the best place to stay close to the refuge.... hotel?, RV?

Comment

Adolph Thomae Jr County Park
            It will be full of hunters mainly. It’s cheap, it has bathrooms, good fishing pier, etc. camper hookups available. It’s a bit of a drive but it’s about as close as you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
              This will be our first time out there and looking for the best place to stay close to the refuge.... hotel?, RV?
              Check on some motels/hotels in Port Isabel. About 20-25 minute drive from there.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

I stayed at the Casa Rosa Motel in Port Isabel last year. Worked out okay. Parking lot looked tight with all the big Bubba pickemup trucks, but didn't bump anybody. Does anybody know if the road repairs on Buena Vista Blvd are done? If it's opened back up will make the trip from Port Isabel a little easier. Watch your speed thru the little townships tho.

Comment

Thanks will probably end up pulling the Rv down.

Is it worth trying to pack in a small 6-8' tripod? I will be on the rifle hunt. Think my best bet would be to setup on the edge of a clearing.

What about a cart to haul game out? I know the road will be fine but can you get a cart Off road, or would a drag/sled be better?

If anyone know of a nice spot to setup on a clearing for nilgai, send me a Pm...lol

Comment

Is it worth trying to pack in a small 6-8' tripod? I will be on the rifle hunt. Think my best bet would be to setup on the edge of a clearing.

What about a cart to haul game out? I know the road will be fine but can you get a cart Off road, or would a drag/sled be better?

If anyone know of a nice spot to setup on a clearing for nilgai, send me a Pm...lol
                    Honestly i wouldn't bother dragging abunch of stuff in there, its such a vast area to hunt and to get a tripod in there to make it useful away from other hunters, you would be dragging it in there for a lonngggg haul. plenty of places to hike in and set up in nice clearings. the less you bring in the easier your pack out will be. i see alot of people draggin in the game carts.

Comment

I was in unit 1 a few weeks ago and the road was about 2' high in grass. I tried to walk around a clearing and it was difficult & adventurous at best. it is green down there and will be a hard hunt, least for the bowhunters.

Comment

Thanks will probably end up pulling the Rv down. ...
                        Any recommendations other than the county park for RV camping?

Comment

Originally posted by returning egret View Post
                          Any recommendations other than the county park for RV camping?

Port Isabel is covered up in RV parks and are a short :20 from the refuge. You might call the refuge or check their website for recommendations?

Comment

There is a KOA at the Island.

Comment

Has anyone that's hunted there before had any experience or issues bringing a non-hunting guest?

I've tried calling the office multiple times but have never reached anyone nor has anyone returned my messages. Just trying to get a little clarification.

Comment

No you cannot bring a non hunter

Comment

Working...
                                X