No announcement yet.

Aransas 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like to get higher 15-20' depending on the tree. i climb with a molle webbing ladder, tied into tree with lineman rope, harness...etc. My whole system is intended to not drill/screw/damage any tree, which works well on public. If you go on youtube and look up G2 Outdoors, he has a lot of good videos on mods and different set ups.

Originally posted by ibethemarc View Post
    This concept of sit and drag intrigues me. Do you guys do any modifications to sit higher in the tree or do you stay at ground level?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dmillerdesign View Post
      I like to get higher 15-20' depending on the tree. i climb with a molle webbing ladder, tied into tree with lineman rope, harness...etc. My whole system is intended to not drill/screw/damage any tree, which works well on public. If you go on youtube and look up G2 Outdoors, he has a lot of good videos on mods and different set ups.
      I had intended to just bring my pop up blind because it is all i currently own but i may be investing in a saddle setup after watching some of that guy's videos.

Comment

I was under the impression the trees were not big enough or in favorable enough spot to use a ladder stand... wouldn't this apply to a saddle as well?

Comment

Originally posted by bsgp8ntball View Post
          I was under the impression the trees were not big enough or in favorable enough spot to use a ladder stand... wouldn't this apply to a saddle as well?

My thoughts as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
            My thoughts as well...

My understanding is that the terrain changes across the refuge. I know that there are some bigger oak on the property. A lot of smaller scrub oak as well, so really it just depends on the specific spot that you pick out. I'm bringing tripods, groundblinds and ratchet straps that I could use to help me crawl higher into a tree and just naturally in a tree. Plus a swivel chair just in case I want to do a natural brush blind.

Comment

Originally posted by CoswayTyler View Post
              ......Thumper hopefully we can meet while we are there, after countless hours of scouring the internet looking for info on this hunt I have come to the conclusion that you are the OG god father of this hunt.
              I'm just one of the kids who grew up hunting the Refuge. The god fathers ???, Frank Johnson, Jack Suggs, Harold Wheat, Mike McNeil, Ed Dulin, Jesse Ledbetter, Bob Brister, and Bob Lee, among others. Because of them the refuge hunt happen and grew, these guys are the true god fathers of the Aransas hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by CoswayTyler View Post
                My understanding is that the terrain changes across the refuge. I know that there are some bigger oak on the property. A lot of smaller scrub oak as well, so really it just depends on the specific spot that you pick out. I'm bringing tripods, groundblinds and ratchet straps that I could use to help me crawl higherr into a tree and just naturally in a tree. Plus a swivel chair just in case I want to do a natural brush blind.
                X2

With their burn program the refuge is always changing, but its always the same. The big old oak motts at one time were scrub oaks and today's scrub oaks in the past were big old oaks. But the current burn program is bringing more grass areas to the refuge. When the refuge hunt 1st opened it had cattle grazing the refuge, this was the best if times for hunting the refuge. Maybe the refuge will some day bring the buffalo back to again manage and control the brush.

Comment

Guys looking for the refuge IBEP class this year that did not happen sorry. It will be back next year so yall can get the early scout. Lost my home to Harvey and still in the building stages with my new home. Sorry again.

Comment

Stepping on snakes

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                    Yes, at least 11" boots. In hunting the refuge for 38+ years I've stepped on dozens of water moccasins there, only three rattlesnakes.
                    Thumper, that’s hilarious,only three rattle snakes . Lol. The worst part is you aren’t making it up . Thank you . Good luck this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                      If I witness someone in their drawers swimming with the gators to get a buck, it will all be worth it, hah! Welcome to Texas, swamp donkey.
                      Jen, good to know that. I love making folks laugh. Once in my quest to make things more comfortable,because of the heat . I decided to wear my speedos the black one I used at the YMCA for swimming laps,under my bug suit with a base layer shirt . It worked out great. I bipassed the a soggy bottom part .Later that day, driving home ,I was stopped . It was a game warden . We spoke and he a bit and he offered me his card. I jumped out of my truck to grab it . His face went blank ! I didn’t know why . I went home and passed my bedroom mirror . OMG , I about fell out . You could see me like I was neked. I was horrified and then realized the officer encountered something he would never forget , although he wished he could, and I never tried that again . Good luck on your hunt . God bless Texas !

Comment

Originally posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
                        Jen, good to know that. I love making folks laugh. Once in my quest to make things more comfortable,because of the heat . I decided to wear my speedos the black one I used at the YMCA for swimming laps,under my bug suit with a base layer shirt . It worked out great. I bipassed the a soggy bottom part .Later that day, driving home ,I was stopped . It was a game warden . We spoke and he a bit and he offered me his card. I jumped out of my truck to grab it . His face went blank ! I didn’t know why . I went home and passed my bedroom mirror . OMG , I about fell out . You could see me like I was neked. I was horrified and then realized the officer encountered something he would never forget , although he wished he could, and I never tried that again . Good luck on your hunt . God bless Texas !

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Hunting with gators as opportunity’s tables turn

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                          Bring ur off
                          I was there this weekend and skeeters are something fierce....like dragonfly size by the millions
                          Also watch out for the toothy critters in the green armor had this one swim up to us wade fishing
                          I have to declare ,that hunting with gators is par for the course in Florida. We have to wade in our storm water treatment areas to hunt teal and goldeneyes. You often see the gators when your driving out , blowing up the water snatching a wading bird on the bank or eating your ducks. It never bothered us because we couldn’t see that until day light, while we were hip deep in the marsh. I thank god im in Texas , but funny part is just as I pondered how much I will miss my formative years hunting the swamps with brother gator ... I get my first drawn hunt in Aransas . Lol, life is funnier than fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
                            I have to declare ,that hunting with gators is par for the course in Florida. We have to wade in our storm water treatment areas to hunt teal and goldeneyes. You often see the gators when your driving out , blowing up the water snatching a wading bird on the bank or eating your ducks. It never bothered us because we couldn’t see that until day light, while we were hip deep in the marsh. I thank god im in Texas , but funny part is just as I pondered how much I will miss my formative years hunting the swamps with brother gator ... I get my first drawn hunt in Aransas . Lol, life is funnier than fiction.

Let me get your number, that way if I shoot a deer and he goes into the water you can go get it. Not saying I'm scared or anything, but if you and the gators are boys like that then there's no sense in me trying to make their aquatints! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead2314 View Post
                              Guys looking for the refuge IBEP class this year that did not happen sorry. It will be back next year so yall can get the early scout. Lost my home to Harvey and still in the building stages with my new home. Sorry again.
                              Sir, please don't be sorry. In fact, we are the ones that should be sorry. I was extremely blessed and lucky during that storm that my business was not affected much at while others were destroyed. I still think about it a lot and the fact that some people, like yourself are still hurting/fixing things and getting back to normal. I know I don't know you, but if there's anything I can do to help you then let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                                I'm just one of the kids who grew up hunting the Refuge. The god fathers ???, Frank Johnson, Jack Suggs, Harold Wheat, Mike McNeil, Ed Dulin, Jesse Ledbetter, Bob Brister, and Bob Lee, among others. Because of them the refuge hunt happen and grew, these guys are the true god fathers of the Aransas hunt.
                                Man that's awesome. I think I feel an attachment to the Aransas because I have literally studied it and wanted to hunt it since 2013. However, work and life have taken a lot of time over the last 5 years and I'm now getting to a position where I can start enjoying things again. I was really bummed out when I found out Aransas went to the draw system. So then I put in for the draw and I didn't get drawn the 1st go around. Needless to say I was bummed, but as fate had it I got picked up on the second go around and here we are. 21 days and counting!!!! I would still love to meet you and here some stories about the Aransas. How long have you been hunting it?

Comment

Working...
                                X