No announcement yet.

Woodturning thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of good looking pieces on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is there a specific question on turning anyone has?

Comment

I’ve got one, in trying to slow the rpms down, I had a couple of pulleys, but also added a small rheostat but it doesnt work very well. What is the best way to slow it down?I believe the motor is around 1700 rpms(been a while since I’ve looked at it)
        Last edited by Witchgrass; 12-01-2020, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
          I’ve got one, in trying to slow the rpms down, I had a couple of pulleys, but also added a small rheostat but it doesnt work very well. What is the best way to slow it down?I believe the motor is around 1700 rpms(been a while since I’ve looked at it)
          Look for a better speed pot or a new VS machine. I hate changing speed with belt. The VS machine is so much better. IMHO.

Comment

Anybody have a good lead on an inexpensive sphere jig that is decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
              What lathe do you have? I’ve done just a tiny bit of research and found a motor and vsr control conversion for midi lathes.

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                What lathe do you have? I’ve done just a tiny bit of research and found a motor and vsr control conversion for midi lathes.
                I’d like the info for this as well. I’d also like to find a bottle stopper chuck for #1 MT or 3/4”x16 TPI, but I don’t think such a critter exists.

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
                  I’d like the info for this as well. I’d also like to find a bottle stopper chuck for #1 MT or 3/4”x16 TPI, but I don’t think such a critter exists.
                  Convert your Multi Speed Turncrafter,Jet,or Delta Midi Lathe to a Variable Speed Workhorse. With this variable speed kit you can experience infinite and instantaneous speed control with a simple the turn of a knob. Easy to set-up. Click here to see if this fits your lathe Kit

I just called them and this is still available. I've done lots of business with these folks and have been very satisfied with them.
                  Last edited by bassmatt72; 12-02-2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
                    This chuck is specifically designed to turn most Bottle Stopper kits except the BS4, BS6, and BS7. It enables you to turn bottle stoppers on a 3/4 x 16TPI lathe.

No idea on this one, just did an online search. I've not ordered or done any business with this company so I have no idea about them?

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                      https://www.woodturningz.com/PSI-Bot...uck-34-x-16TPI

No idea on this one, just did an online search. I've not ordered or done any business with this company so I have no idea about them?
                      I went ahead and ordered that chuck. Should be here in 2-4 business days. I have an older craftsman lathe so I don’t think that conversion will work.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
                        Anybody have a good lead on an inexpensive sphere jig that is decent.
                        I haven't used or tried these but do know a few turners that have had good success with them

No Jig Needed

Rubber Chucky Jigs and the instructions for using the Chuckies : HOW TO

Comment

Here are a few pics I was able to dig up. A couple of pipes I’ve made/started and some “Back the Blue” pens we did for a bunch of deputies at a promotion ceremony for our local SO a couple of years ago. Also a pen I made for my wife from a hammer that belonged to her grandfather.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1871_Original.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	24638584
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0792_Original.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	24638585

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here some of my projects I've done over the years. Different times of year change gears for me. I mostly stick to turkey pot calls, duck calls and whistles, and pens and shaving items. I use all kinds of woods, but I really like pouring custom acrylic blanks and casting different items in them. My latest are the cactus skeletons , I spent a lot of time playing with them trying to figure it out

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Banded Drake Calls;15301595]Here some of my projects I've done over the years. Different times of year change gears for me. I mostly stick to turkey pot calls, duck calls and whistles, and pens and shaving items. I use all kinds of woods, but I really like pouring custom acrylic blanks and casting different items in them. My latest are the cactus skeletons , I spent a lot of time playing with them trying to figure it out...

Very nice! How do you prep the cactus skeletons before casting?

Comment

[quote=bassmatt72;15301938]
                                Originally posted by Banded Drake Calls View Post
                                Here some of my projects I've done over the years. Different times of year change gears for me. I mostly stick to turkey pot calls, duck calls and whistles, and pens and shaving items. I use all kinds of woods, but I really like pouring custom acrylic blanks and casting different items in them. My latest are the cactus skeletons , I spent a lot of time playing with them trying to figure it out...

Very nice! How do you prep the cactus skeletons before casting?
                                I use an air wand to blow out any dirt or debris in them and then rinse them out. Leave them out in the sun to dry for a week or so

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X