No announcement yet.

Benbrook Lake 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last I heard there were 10 applications for every 1 spot available. Some people self select. The letter that came with the permits said there were 8 people that were drawn but disqualified because they didn't turn in their survey forms.

Comment

Got lucky this year! Nov 16th

Comment

I've been scouting at Benbrook the last couple week. Seen a couple does in person, even in the middle of the day when it was 100+, which is always a good sign. Got several legal 8 points on camera and found a shed that had 7 points on it!!! As of last week, they were all still in full velvet, hoping this cooler weather will get them rubbing.

Side note, someone out there has been tampering with one of my cameras. I followed the trail down a little further into the brush to find someones hidden tree stand which really ticked me off. Assuming that it belongs to whoever was messing with my camera...

Rules are rules regardless of how silly they seem. Issues like having stands out there when its not your hunt will get this hunting area shut down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Kev View Post
          I've been scouting at Benbrook the last couple week. Seen a couple does in person, even in the middle of the day when it was 100+, which is always a good sign. Got several legal 8 points on camera and found a shed that had 7 points on it!!! As of last week, they were all still in full velvet, hoping this cooler weather will get them rubbing.

Side note, someone out there has been tampering with one of my cameras. I followed the trail down a little further into the brush to find someones hidden tree stand which really ticked me off. Assuming that it belongs to whoever was messing with my camera...

Rules are rules regardless of how silly they seem. Issues like having stands out there when its not your hunt will get this hunting area shut down.

Benbrook removes stands illegally placed if they know about them. Seen them out there before doing that when out scouting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
            Benbrook removes stands illegally placed if they know about them. Seen them out there before doing that when out scouting.

I've seen stands out there for months, some in very plain view

Comment

I drove around the lake this evening and saw a bachelor group of 5 bucks. Two were real nice mature bucks. One was much bigger bodied and darker than the others. They weren't very far from Holiday Park along Lakeshore Drive. Of course they were a long way from the hunting areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey Hunter View Post
                I've seen stands out there for months, some in very plain view
                Also, I just looked through the rules. It doesn't say anything about not being able to have your blinds up before your hunt, just after. " All blinds must have hunter’s name, date of installation, address and phone number written legibly and placed at the entry point of the blind in an obvious location. Blinds must be removed at the end of each hunters 2 week permit."

Comment

Also, I just looked through the rules. It doesn't say anything about not being able to have your blinds up before your hunt, just after. " All blinds must have hunter’s name, date of installation, address and phone number written legibly and placed at the entry point of the blind in an obvious location. Blinds must be removed at the end of each hunters 2 week permit."
                  technically you aren't supposed to put your stand up until your 2 week hunt window begins - but in my experience if nobody reports it, the corp won't know its there.

there is a stand out there going on +2 years now, vines have it nearly completely entangled...its in a very popular and obvious spot.

Comment

Went out today to hang a couple of cameras and there were a couple of dove hunters out but not many birds flying. Not seeing as much sign in the area we hunted last year. The pressure put on these deer with l the new Covid hikers around has impacted the movement

Comment

Originally posted by PIOBill View Post
                      Went out today to hang a couple of cameras and there were a couple of dove hunters out but not many birds flying. Not seeing as much sign in the area we hunted last year. The pressure put on these deer with l the new Covid hikers around has impacted the movement
                      Hadn't even thought about how Covid hikers would pressure the deer. Dang

Comment

We specially asked this question and was told it was only legal to have up during your period. We even had the ranger on camera going through one of the scouting spots. We asked what would happen if blind was up early, and he said they will ticket you. Seems you can risk having confiscated but placing your name on it just give them data to ticket you with.

Comment

I decided to just give up that spot to the person with the illegal stand. Don't want to hunt around a person who is the type to mess with someone's camera and not follow the rules of when they can put up their stand. If I see who is going in there during the season the ranger will probably be getting a call.

Comment

Wen out and checked cameras a couple of days ago. Saw several does with fawns but not much action on cameras. Dove hunters were not having much luck that afternoon. On the way back to the truck, 3 bucks crossed in front of us and ran within site of the parking area. All still in velvet.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
                              missed out on general deer this year, its okay though because there are only doe and spikes out there this season. i did draw hunt 10 so looks like 2 days of antlerless and then duck killin
                              Me and my brother were drawn for this same hunt. May run into you at some point. Its my 4th time drawn.

Comment

We have 4 cameras out and we are not seeing much on them. even the area we hunted last year that was covered in sign has only yielded 3 photos in over a week. Good luck to all.

Comment

Working...
                                X