No announcement yet.

Powderhorn 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compartment. My BIL and I did this hunt last year. There were two stands in our compartment. Luck of the draw my BIL shot a nice Sambat stag the first morning. I didn't see anything but cows where I was. Moved to his stand with him the last morning and saw a Sambar cow but couldn't get turned and on her before she went back in the brush.

Saw axis, sambar, and white tail brought in. High percentage that you will get something.

Comment

Don’t sit it the stands as they are not in good spots. Walk the roads in your compartment slowly and quietly paying special attention to any water and any big openings in the brush you can see, they love to have there feet wet. Don’t shoot the first Sambar that you see because you will see more.. They are loaded. It’s the best hunt I’ve ever been on and I’m telling you from experience don’t shoot the first stag you see Unless he’s a great one because you will see more. Axis are they but not as many and not in every unit. On the 2nd and 3rd day don’t be afraid to ask the staff if you can switch units because a lot of hunters will leave after getting there stag and you can get into other areas that may have axis.

Comment

I read the thread about hunting Aransas National Refuge with its big gators, big snakes, and clouds of mosquitoes. Is the Powderhorn any different?

Comment

They are not far from each other and they are both coastal.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
            I read the thread about hunting Aransas National Refuge with its big gators, big snakes, and clouds of mosquitoes. Is the Powderhorn any different?
            Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
            They are not far from each other and they are both coastal.
            Did you get drawn for Powderhorn also?

Comment

Guess no one else on here got picked for Powderhorn this year?

Comment

The .257 will likely be good enough. Even with bigger Guns the biologists there will tell you to neck shoot them. They have had better recovery rates doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                  i wish instead we are all gonna live the dream thru you!

Comment

Did you get drawn for Powderhorn also?
                    No, not I. Just wondering if there was much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                      i wish instead we are all gonna live the dream thru you!
                      I'll do my best to go as live as possible. Guess I need to download tapacrap and get familiar with using it. I have plenty of time to figure it out. Being only 5 miles outside POC we should have pretty good cell service.

Comment

I'll do my best to go as live as possible. Guess I need to download tapacrap and get familiar with using it. I have plenty of time to figure it out. Being only 5 miles outside POC we should have pretty good cell service.
                        That will be good! My phone usually works fine in that area. Where yall staying?

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                          That will be good! My phone usually works fine in that area. Where yall staying?
                          In Brunner's barndo. We had stayed in it once before during a WORP hunt.

Comment

In Brunner's barndo. We had stayed in it once before during a WORP hunt.
                            Awesome! Good plan!

Comment

Nope, one more.
                              I got drawn for the 10/27-29 hunt. 27 points used so super excited after applying for GDE all those years. Normally put in for the Chap, but switched over the the Powderhorn due to the Sambar opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper John View Post
                                Nope, one more.
                                I got drawn for the 10/27-29 hunt. 27 points used so super excited after applying for GDE all those years. Normally put in for the Chap, but switched over the the Powderhorn due to the Sambar opportunity.
                                Nice! Congratulations and good luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X