No announcement yet.

2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a comment. I love bowhunting, but I also like to hunt deer, turkey, and small game with my flintlock rifles. To those that would want to make LBJ archery and shotgun only, why would you want to take this away from me?

Comment

I haven't been out to LBJ since November... anyone know where the pigs are running??? I'm running low on some breakfast sausage and need to break in my new smoker with a fresh shoulder!

Comment

Originally posted by snubnose57 View Post
        Just a comment. I love bowhunting, but I also like to hunt deer, turkey, and small game with my flintlock rifles. To those that would want to make LBJ archery and shotgun only, why would you want to take this away from me?
        I haven't heard of anyone against you using black powder guns on the grasslands but are still fine with shotguns being used. If anything there are some that would want it to be bow only. I know some have argued the bow only thing with the grasslands mostly being smaller units but I just don't see it happening. The only reasons I could see bow only happening is to reduce pressure on the deer a little and be a little bit safer. I am not against it but also don't think I would push for it either as it would reduce public access for other hunters. There is already to few public places to hunt in this state so I don't care for reducing that number more unless absolutely needed.

Comment

I wish they would go back to doe tags. The current system leads to overcrowding, plus most people with family, do not hunt on Thanksgiving day.
          Another question about Red Deer archery range. Years ago, you used to be able to drive into that unit. Also, years ago, I took my bow there, had to walk in, and saw no range.
          I have been hunting LBJ since the late 1970's, seen a lot of good and bad over this time.

Comment

I wish they would go back to doe tags. The current system leads to overcrowding, plus most people with family, do not hunt on Thanksgiving day.
            Another question about Red Deer archery range. Years ago, you used to be able to drive into that unit. Also, years ago, I took my bow there, had to walk in, and saw no range.
            I have been hunting LBJ since the late 1970's, seen a lot of good and bad over this time.

I've felt the same way every since USFS did away with the draw doe tags. And I predicted the very thing you stated. There is a lot more to the down side of that as well.

This is just one: With the draw, at least they had an idea of "not more than" number of does being killed (unless poached). Now, there is only estimates based on what they see in some of the camps, and at some gates.

Comment

I wish they would go back to the draw as well. The crowds during thanksgiving weekend has to be bad for the wildlife not to mention unsafe. I went out thanksgiving morning and went home after seeing 8 people parked on an 80 acre unit that doesn't have a ton of cover. The archery range hasn't been around in quite some time. I believe they had issues with vandalism. That isn't surprising as it is pretty much the same reason the clay range got shutdown.

Comment

TX BHA Cleanup Day March 2nd

The Texas chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers has helped plan a cleanup day for LBJ and other Texas public lands for March 2nd. Lunch and supplies will be provided to volunteers at LBJ. Please RSVP if you can make it so they know how many lunches to bring.

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers is the voice for our wild public lands, waters and wildlife.
                Last edited by RShockley; 02-20-2019, 09:21 PM.

Comment

can someone post a link to the rules/regulations for LBJ?

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                    The Texas chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers has helped plan a cleanup day for LBJ and other Texas public lands for March 2nd. Lunch and supplies will be provided to volunteers at LBJ. Please RSVP if you can make it so they know how many lunches to bring.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/t...lands_work_day

Thanks for putting this out there! Glad there are things like this that happen out there.

Comment

How do I turkey hunt?

Comment

Are there actually any turkeys on the Grasslands?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
                          Are there actually any turkeys on the Grasslands?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks,

My buddy had been deer hunting out there last season and hadn't seen any deer or turkeys..... We'll scout it out in a few weeks

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                              How do I turkey hunt?
                              Just like you would turkey hunt anywhere else. Find some birds, call one in and let it rip. There are units all over with birds that stay there, or pass through on a very regular basis.

There will be a lot more people to contend with than on a private place, but success is always possible. IMO! Call less, and move more. I have seen no less than 5 people trying to work one bird with varying levels of calling skill. The bird knew none of those sounds were ones he was interested in, no just kept moving.

Good luck out there, and stay safe. Turkey season is usually the one that has a higher amount of hunting accidents caused by not identifying targets before shooting.

Comment

I found some insane sheds on an undisclosed unit yesterday on my first scouting trip out there.. I don’t know how to post them to the thread but if someone wants to see them they can PM me.. one is 86” one side.. one is 84 1/8” one side

Comment

Working...
                                X