Heaviest recurve made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heaviest recurve made?

Getting back into my workouts with the 60lb Grizzly and got to wondering if there was ever a heavier one built (production not custom)? Are there 70lb recurves out there? 80lb's? 90??? I know long bows go up into the 100's but those are old European bows. Any of you know of a production recurve above 60lbs draw weight? To be honest I'd probably but a Fred Bear Grizzly in 100lb's just to see if I could ever draw it to anchor.

Richard

I know you said not custom but still thought it fit the topic. And I bet most all major manufacturers only built custom order bows over 65 or 70 lbs. But I do know Fred Bear and Howard Hill both commonly shot bows well over those weights.

Comment

I've owned a 76# Bear take down, a Wing that was 75# so yeah, there was some. A friend, Jerry Halfriech, had a 107# and a 138# Black Widow on the metal handle back in the day. I could shoot the 107 but trying to pull the 138, I couldn't even pull it an inch.

Comment

Wade Phillips owns several heavyweight Bears built in the mid to late fifties. One is a hundred pound bow. If my memory is correct, it is a Grizzly, 1956 or so vintage.

Comment

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeY1JjwJzJU"]TGO | 30 Yard Shot with a 100 lb Ebony Recurve Bow - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeY1JjwJzJU" style="display:none;">
            IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeY1JjwJzJU')">https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeY1JjwJzJU')"> I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeY1JjwJzJU">https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeY1JjwJzJU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Comment

I built an 85# recurve back around 2003. I was power lifting at that time, but that thing was still a monster to draw lol. I ended up selling it to a guy headed to Africa for cape buffalo.

Comment

Cool to know that heavier recurves are out there! That guy in the video made that 100lb bow look like it was a 50 the way he drew it.

Richard.

Comment

My heaviest is a 75 pounder, but it is a custom. If you don't mind buying used many times you can pick them up cheap. Get over 55 or pounds and the people who can draw drops exponentially, and the people who used to draw them and are looking to sell will usually have to let them go cheap. It is kinda funny cause at Howard Hill bows the heavier bows are considerably more expensive to have built.

Also google Simon Stanley. There are some videos of him shooting 150 pounders and he is not a big guy. Most of what he shoots is longbows though

Comment

Among the mass produced bows like Bear, Martin, etc, many of the heavy draw weights (over 65#), were custom orders for heavy, but the vast majority of them to hit the market were heavy by accident.

The only way to get a "NEW" bow from anyone today, that is over 65# is going to be to order it that way whether it be from a mass production company, or a custom bowyer, however there are some of the custom guys (Morrison for example) who refuse to build over 60#.

The best bet to find heavy is to search for used.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                      Among the mass produced bows like Bear, Martin, etc, many of the heavy draw weights (over 65#), were custom orders for heavy, but the vast majority of them to hit the market were heavy by accident.

The only way to get a "NEW" bow from anyone today, that is over 65# is going to be to order it that way whether it be from a mass production company, or a custom bowyer, however there are some of the custom guys (Morrison for example) who refuse to build over 60#.

Rick
                      Yeah I'm always on the lookout for my next bow. I got hooked on Bear bows a couple years back (I blame 60 Deluxe for this ) and my shooters are a mid 70's 45lb and a 1969 60lb, Grizzly bows both.

Comment

I owned a 70# bear 30 years ago.
                        Black Widow will make you a 70 no problem.
                        They will moan and grown if you want anything over 75 but they built me a 84# a few years ago. They told me it is a lot more work to tiller when they are that heavy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2F897F6A-D3CD-4FBE-A4A2-8B162FE5046F.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	24559924

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post

Rick
                          When Rick says they're heavy by accident, he's knows of what he speaks. A while back he ordered a Martin Firecat that was supposed to be 67#s, as I recall him saying. After shooting it a while -- and doing well in competition -- other shooters tried it and figured it might be a little heavier than 67. The weigh-in showed it to be 98-lbs!!! He can correct this account, but I believe he may have shot a perfect 300 round or close to it with that bow.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                            When Rick says they're heavy by accident, he's knows of what he speaks. A while back he ordered a Martin Firecat that was supposed to be 67#s, as I recall him saying. After shooting it a while -- and doing well in competition -- other shooters tried it and figured it might be a little heavier than 67. The weigh-in showed it to be 98-lbs!!! He can correct this account, but I believe he may have shot a perfect 300 round or close to it with that bow.
                            When you say a while back, you're correct. It was quite a while back. 1994 I believe.

It was supposed to be 75 @ 29.5, but yeah it turned out to be quite a bit mor'n that.

Yes on the 300 indoor rounds. Did it several times, but I can't do it anymore, even with my 69# light weights. Need practice.

Rick
                            Last edited by RickBarbee; 11-11-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

We used to shoot a 3D league every Tuesday. There was a guy that shot a 100 lb. recurve, but I have no clue as to brand. When any body didn't believe him he would let you try it. If you still didn't believe him he would put it on the scale. He made it look soooooo easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X